The ABCs of Greek rush

Greek rush begins this weekend! You’d better school yourself in fraternity and sorority vocab if you want to get ahead of the game. For your reference, the Clog compiled a list of helpful terms that might come up during recruitment. Here are the ABCs of Greek rush:

A (Alpha)

Active: a student who is already a member of the fraternity or sorority.

B (Beta)

Bid: a formal invitation to join the fraternity or sorority. Later in the year, a bid means an invitation to a party.

Γ (Gamma)

Game Day: a day on which fraternities are the place to be, when Cal has a home game. Expect burger grilling, outdoor couches, ping pong tables and guys in bro tanks.

Δ (Delta)

Date party: It’s like prom for college students. You invite a date and spend the night dancing at a cool venue. Both fraternities and sororities have them.

E (Epsilon)

Exchange: when a fraternity and a sorority have a social event together. Usually, there is a theme.

Z (Zeta)

Zombie: what you feel like at the end of rush week.

H (Eta)

Eat: Rush week is delicious. During the week, sororities will serve baked goods such as croissants, pigs in a blanket, cupcakes, cookies, biscotti and lemon bars. Fraternities will host barbecues and serve burgers, tri tip and hot dogs.

Θ (Theta)

Thirteen: the number of sorority houses affiliated with the Panhellenic Council at Cal. There are more than 30 official registered fraternities at Cal.

I (Iota)

Initiation: a ritual that is house-specific. When you join a Greek house, you are still a new member until you are initiated. Then, you become an active member. Usually, there are traditions and ceremonies associated with initiation.

K (Kappa)

Kickback: a casual hangout with the brothers of a fraternity house, often hosted during rush week.

Λ (Lambda)

Legacy: You are a legacy if someone in your family was once in the fraternity or sorority. Some houses prioritize this when deciding on bids, while others don’t. 

M (Mu)

Meeting: There are usually informal house meetings every week or so for each house. There are formal meetings less frequently.

N (Nu)

National Panhellenic Council: the organization that leads affiliated sororities across the country.

Ξ (Xi) 

(e)Xecutive House Boards: a committee usually consisting of a president, vice president, social chair, recruitment chair and house manager. They are in charge of recruitment and administrative duties within the house.

O (Omicron)

One: At the end of rush week, you will end up in one house.

Π (Pi)

Pledge: In fraternities, after you receive a bid, you are invited to become a pledge. It is a semester-long process in which you bond with the the other members of your house.  

P (Rho)

Recruitment Counselor (Rho Chi): members of sororities who are disaffiliated during recruitment week. They help potential new members go through the process of recruitment.

Σ (Sigma)

Sperry: Sperry Topsiders are a type of boat shoe many frat guys love to wear. 

T (Tau)

Tours: One of the days of recruitment is house tours day.  If you are rushing, you’ll get a tour of all of the sorority or fraternity houses. Generally, it is a more formal day for sororities than it is for fraternities.

Y (Upsilon)

Unity Day: the first day of sorority rush week, when potential new members visit all of the houses.

Φ (Phi)

Philanthropy: Each fraternity and sorority has a specific cause it sponsors. They will throw events, raise money and volunteer for this cause.

X (Chi)

Chapter: the individual Greek house specific to Cal. A chapter is part of larger national organization. Gamma Gamma Gamma, for example, might be the Nu chapter at one college and the Alpha chapter at another.

Ψ (Psi)

Pseudonym: Most houses refer to each other by shorter, abbreviated names.

Ω (Omega)

Outings: Once you are a member of the house, you will go on various social outings with your fellow Greek brothers or sisters. You might visit a zoo, go camping, go skiing or see a performance in the city. 

Image Sources: Featured Image

Daniela Grinblatt is an assistant blog editor. Contact her at [email protected].