Summer news in review

May 7: Police Review Commission and Moore family lawsuit

On May 7, The Daily Californian published leaked findings from a confidential hearing conducted by the city’s Police Review Commission, which led to an officer and the police union suing the city and its commission Aug. 4 due to an alleged breach of confidentiality. —Kimberly Veklerov

May 7: Union files complaint regarding International House worker’s death

A union representing UC workers filed a complaint alleging that UC Berkeley violated health and safety standards in the conditions leading to the April death of Damon Frick, a custodial worker at the International House, in a fatal work accident. The complaint, filed by American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 3299, joins a pending wrongful death claim filed by Frick’s family. — Sophie Ho

June 24: Audit of sexual assault policies

After a complaint against the campus by 31 current and former UC Berkeley students alleging the administration mishandled sexual assault investigations, the state auditor’s office reports that certain UC Berkeley faculty and staff members, such as athletic coaches and residence hall advisors, are not properly trained to respond to cases of sexual violence and harassment. UC Berkeley, UCLA, San Diego State University and Chico State University — the four public colleges investigated by auditors — do not always comply with state law for the distribution of certain policies, the report found. — Kimberly Veklerov

June 25: Minimum Wage

Berkeley City Council increases the minimum wage to $10.

July 16: Student Regent

The UC Board of Regents confirmed Avi Oved, a UCLA senior, as the 2015-16 student regent at their July meeting. His confirmation was fiercely contested after a UC Riverside student presented a document at a University of California Student Association meeting that showed Oved sent an email to Adam Milstein, a pro-Israel supporter who co-founded the Adam and Gila Milstein Foundation, thanking him for a contribution to him and a campus political party with which he is affiliated. The donation was not a violation of UCLA’s election bylaws but raised questions among UC students about potential conflicts of interest. —Kimberly Veklerov

Aug. 5: Ted Agu

The family of Ted Agu, a former Cal football player who died after a teamwide training drill Feb. 7, filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against the university. The suit alleges negligent hiring, retention, supervision and training of a coach and athletic trainer. It also alleges that staff in Cal Athletics knew Agu tested positive for sickle cell trait but did not take appropriate measures to ensure his health and safety. — Kimberly Veklerov

Aug. 8: City Council candidates

In November’s City Council race, District 1 incumbent Linda Maio will face rent board commissioner Alejandro Soto-Vigil and activist Merrilie Mitchell. District 4 incumbent Jesse Arreguin is uncontested. In District 7, the “student district,” incumbent Kriss Worthington will face recent UC Berkeley graduate Sean Barry. Incumbent Gordon Wozniak is not running for re-election in District 8, leaving the competition to Lori Droste, George Beier, Mike Alvarez Cohen and Jacquelyn McCormick. — Melissa Wen

Aug. 12: California Drought

After Gov. Jerry Brown’s January declaration that California was in a state of emergency due to the drought, the East Bay Municipal Utility District’s board of directors voted unanimously Aug. 12 to require the implementation of outdoor water restrictions. — Kimberly Veklerov

Contact Sophie Ho, Kimberly Veklerov and Melissa Wen at [email protected]