Napolitano selects Howard Gillman as new UC Irvine chancellor

UC President Janet Napolitano announced Thursday her selection of UC Irvine Provost Howard Gillman as that campus’s new chancellor.

Gillman has been serving as UC Irvine’s interim chancellor since July 1, after former chancellor Michael Drake’s departure to become president of Ohio State University. He was appointed provost and executive vice chancellor in June of last year, according to a press release.

In 2013, Drake received a gross pay of about $400,000 as UC Irvine chancellor, compared to the approximately $6 million his predecessor at Ohio State, Gordon Gee, received.

As provost and executive vice chancellor, Gillman was the campus’s chief academic and operating officer. He also helped recruit faculty. During his tenure, underrepresented racial and ethnic groups comprised 28 percent of new faculty, according to the press release. Previously, Gillman taught history, law and political science at the University of Southern California and served as one of USC’s deans from 2007 to 2012.

Gillman was the first in his family to attend college and received his bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees from UCLA. As UC Irvine’s chancellor, he would oversee a campus with more than 28,000 students, 1,100 faculty and 9,400 staff.

“Though it’s a relatively young campus at just over 50 years old, UC Irvine is incredibly accomplished, with great aspirations,” Gillman said in a statement. “I look forward to forging a shared vision with all who teach, research, learn and work on the campus, and with the larger community outside the campus.

According to the press release, an advisory committee reviewed 405 candidates in the search for a new chancellor. The UC Board of Regents will vote on Gillman’s appointment at its Sept. 18 meeting in San Francisco.

Melissa Wen is the lead city news reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @melissalwen.