Edible flower confetti and other funky foods you can find at Berkeley Bowl

Kristen McFadden/Staff

Ah, Berkeley Bowl: the grocery store with a Berkeley twist. A grocery store unique to this city, it has an array of unique foods that truly sets it apart. This week, the Clog took a field trip to the local store to find the foods that make Berkeley Bowl special. If you’re going to take the trip over there, it should be worth it, right? Right! Here are 10 foods that stood out the most to us after walking through the store.

1. Edible flower confetti

clog.berkeleybowl.mcfadden

Kristen McFadden/Staff

“Premium” confetti, to be exact. We guess this means you can throw a party and eat it, too?

2. Durian fruit

Untitled

Kristen McFadden/Staff

This smelly fruit can be found in various grocery stores, especially Asian ones. There aren’t a lot of places nearby that sell Durian, so if you’re interested in eating this spiky fruit with custard-like insides, check out Berkeley Bowl.

2. Cabernet-soaked cheddar

clog.berkeleybowl.mcfadden

Kristen McFadden/Staff

UC Berkeley students quickly become masters of multitasking while in school. This cabernet-soaked cheese is just one way you can incorporate food into that lifestyle. Wine and cheese nights will never be the same again!

3. Banana juice

Untitled

Kristen McFadden/Staff

Tired of plain ol’ apple or orange juice? Berkeley Bowl has banana juice. Instead of being bland and going for your regular juices, get a little weird and monkey around with Berkeley Bowl’s banana juice.

4. Fresh-made veggie pastas

Untitled

Kristen McFadden/Staff

There’s a section at the Berkeley Bowl full of products made fresh right inside the store! The coolest one we found was fresh vegetable pasta. There are beet, spinach and original-flavored veggie pastas.

5. Duck Bacon

clog.berkeleybowl.mcfadden

Kristen McFadden/Staff

Why eat regular bacon when you can eat fancy bacon? When we first came across this, we were mostly just confused. But if you’re a bacon lover and are interested in anything with the word “bacon” in its title, we highly suggest you check out the duck bacon at the Berkeley Bowl.

6. Freeze-dried oranges

clog.berkeleybowl.mcfadden

Kristen McFadden/Staff

It’s not a fruit we normally see freeze-dried, but hey — there’s nothing wrong with more options to get some extra vitamin C. So, if you’re bored with your gummy vitamins and daily OJ, get some freeze-dried organic orange slices!

7. Every mushroom you could ever imagine 

clog.berkeleybowl.mcfadden

Kristen McFadden/Staff

Lookin’ to do some ‘shrooms? And when we say “do,” we mean cook and eat, and when we say “some,” we mean every mushroom you could probably come up with at the top of your head.

8. High-priced chocolate

clog.berkeleybowl.mcfadden

Kristen McFadden/Staff

If you’re a chocolate fanatic, this may be for you. Because it’s made with some of the purest ingredients, just a few ounces of this stuff cost 10 bucks!

9. Banana leaves

clog.berkeleybowl.mcfadden

Kristen McFadden/Staff

Banana leaves can be used in a variety of ways, including wrapping materials for sticky rices and even baked into some dishes.

10. Canned baby clams

clog.berkeleybowl.mcfadden

Kristen McFadden/Staff

Only the most dedicated seafood lovers should try this one out. We have a feeling these baby clams soaked in “natural juice” will have an especially bold taste.

Contact Kristin McFadden at [email protected].