BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 30, 2022

Judge dismisses charge against man for murder of Berkeley resident

SEPTEMBER 18, 2014

A murder charge against a 26-year-old man accused of the fatal shooting of a Berkeley resident was dismissed Wednesday after prosecutors were unable to locate a key witness.

Antiown York was charged with the murder of 26-year-old Jermaine Davis on July 17 last year. When Berkeley Police Department officers arrived at the scene, near Derby Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Way, they found Davis suffering from multiple gun shot wounds.

Davis was transported by Berkeley Fire Department to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after.

According to a January BPD press release, through working with the FBI and Daly City Police Department, BPD personnel arrested York on suspicion of murder and booked him to Berkeley Jail on Jan. 6. He was arrested without incident or injury.

After a material witness could not be located at York’s preliminary hearing Wednesday, an Alameda County Superior Court judge dropped charges against York. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, York was expected to be released from custody after the charge dismissal. Prosecutors still possess the right to refile charges.

Authorities believe that Davis’ murder may be connected to other shootings, including the murder of 8-year-old Alaysha Carradine in Oakland.

Hours after Davis’ death, Darnell Williams Jr., 23, went to an East Oakland apartment where York’s mother and children lived, prosecutors said. Williams allegedly opened fire into the apartment, injuring three people and killing Carradine, who was at a sleepover that night. Williams is still facing charges for the case.

BPD and the Alameda County District Attorney’s office are currently not releasing any more information on Davis’ murder case.

“We continue to work closely with the District Attorney’s Office on (Davis’ murder),” said BPD spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats in an email.

Contact Sonja Hutson at 

SEPTEMBER 18, 2014