Making sense of the many business clubs on campus

There are more Sproul flyers shoved in between the pages of your textbook than the hours of sleep you have gotten in the past week. Walking through campus, you are constantly halted by various business organizations looking for new members. After being bombarded with emails, papers and Facebook event invites, you’ve reached your breaking point and need some guidance. Thankfully, the Clog has your back. We’ve compiled a list of a few business organizations on campus to get you started — then maybe you’ll be inspired to start researching some of the other popular organizations on your own! Read it, update your LinkedIn profile and go get some sleep.

Beta Alpha Psi 

unnamed

Beta Alpha Psi, founded in 1919 at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, claims to be more than just a campus club. It prides itself on the intelligence of its members, their down-to-earth attitude and their lifelong commitment to learning. The club values networking and is connected to various professional firms, such as Deloitte, J.P. Morgan and KPMG. If you are looking for a community that will last beyond your time at UC Berkeley, this is the club for you.

Alpha Kappa Psi (AKPsi)

Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 4.53.14 PM

Alpha Kappa Psi is the world’s largest and oldest business fraternity. There are more than 295 college chapters, 90 alumni chapters and 200,000 members worldwide. According to their mission statement, Alpha Kappa Psi focuses on professional guidance and gives its members the skills to succeed in various settings beyond the realm of business. The fraternity stands on three pillars: brotherhood, professionalism and community service. It is sponsored by the Haas School of Business.

ABA

Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 4.55.23 PM

The ABA is the largest Haas-sponsored organization on campus, offering a community of well rounded leaders. It values service and appreciates the importance of giving back to the Berkeley community at large with an emphasis on social responsibility. The club promises lifetime membership and has won many awards. There are networking dinners every semester, where professionals and students enjoy three-course meals together. The ABA values professionalism, community and service. Professionally, the ABA works with McKinsey, Deloitte, J.P. Morgan and Google.

Berkeley Consulting (BC)

joinfa12

Berkeley Consulting is a nonprofit, student-run consulting organization. It provides various consulting services to its customers, including analysis, market research, business plans and marketing. BC prides itself on its sense of group camaraderie. It tries to incorporate fun social events and outings while still maintaining a professional front. Events include everything from formal dinners to trips to the beach.

Haas Undergraduate Black Business Association (HUBBA)

Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 4.58.47 PM

HUBBA aims to support African American as well as other underrepresented groups in business and social service. All funding for the club is used to support minority students through professional development opportunities. HUBBA is sponsored and supported by Pricewaterhouse Coopers, Ernst & Young, Deloitte, Chevron and Accenture. It offers various interview and professional-development workshops. HUBBA claims that its members connect through common love and pride for culture.

Latino Business Student Association (LBSA) 

Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 5.00.06 PM

LBSA was established in 1988, when there were only three Latino students enrolled in Haas. This group focuses not only on business but also on the underrepresentation of minorities in the business world. LBSA offers various programs to help its members, including a study hall once per week to assist students with course material in a myriad of academic fields. It offers various professional-development workshops, which cover topics such as public speaking and etiquette. It hosts various social events, tailgating events and partnerships with other organizations as well as opportunities for mentorship programs. The LSBA gave out $6,000 in scholarships this past year alone.

Tamid 

Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 5.01.10 PM

Tamid, founded in 2008, is an international organization that pioneers the next generation of business leaders by connecting American college students to the Israeli economy. The group has four main areas of focus: high-tech consulting, real-world investing, Israeli entrepreneurship and internships. During a member’s first semester in Tamid, he or she will attend weekly meetings that educate in different skills such as marketing, investing and consulting. It is the organization’s hope that students who join will continue to participate throughout their entire time at UC Berkeley as they develop a “profound commitment to Israel”.

Berkeley Women in Business 

1559599_10203270165904433_1839233203_n

Berkeley Women in Business is a Haas-sponsored student organization that supports women in the business workforce. There are various benefits that members receive, such as professional development workshops, networking opportunities, introductions to different fields in the business world, access to a test bank, office visits, assigned mentors and, most importantly, a supportive community. Many people choose to join Berkeley Women in Business because of the opportunities it offers: to create, foster and develop a network of connections. You can be a part of this community for life, as there are various alumni events and sponsorships. You do not need to be a woman to join this club

Future Business Leaders of America/Phi Beta Lambda (FBLA-PBL)

Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 5.05.28 PM

Although Phi Beta Lambda has greek letters, it is not associated with the Interfraternity Council. PBL is interdisciplinary, as it looks for members who are interested in various topics such as community service, consulting, finance, history, marketing, publications, professional development and networking. PBL members become prepared for success in business leadership while enjoying the benefits of a relatively small club. It is open to all majors.

Image Sources: Featured Image, Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4, Image 5, Image 6, Image 7, Image 8, Image 9

Contact Daniella Wenger at [email protected].

A previous version of this article stated that this guide was an all-inclusive list of the most popular business organizations on campus. In fact, it only highlights a handful of such organizations.