Spotify ranks UC Berkeley among top musical universities

According to recent data from Spotify, UC Berkeley is the 13th most musical college in the nation — in listening, that is. No, this isn’t a mistake. The Spotify corporation did not accidentally confuse us for the Berklee College of Music in Massachusetts. Nor is it ranking colleges’ departments of music specifically, although ours is still fabulous and among the top programs in the nation. Actually, Spotify’s internal metrics measure the number of plays per student who has the Spotify college-student deal. If you haven’t already, take advantage of the Spotify college-student discount.

Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 3.20.58 PM

UC Berkeley also ranks third among California schools. In a study that only counts the 40 most musical schools from all 50 states, this speaks a great deal for California’s affinity for music. When two of the top three, three of the top 13 and four of the top 30 most musical colleges — Cal Poly, UCLA, UC Berkeley and USC, respectively — are all here, it just goes to show that the West Coast is the best coast.

But not only did Spotify track the number of plays — they also tracked when and to whom students listened: tastes and trends that proved to parallel among the schools in California. We have compiled a few interesting statistics from the data, from across the board and from UC Berkeley in particilar.

Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 2.41.09 PM

• Both UC Berkeley and USC listen to distinctly more HAIM, Flume, Disclosure and The xx than other schools do.
  • UC Berkeley students listen to distinctly more CHVRCHES than other schools and to distinctly less Schoolboy Q than other schools do.
  • UC Berkeley’s favorite artists and bands are Lana Del Rey, Calvin Harris, Disclosure, Sam Smith and Coldplay.

Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 3.23.42 PM

Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 2.54.31 PM

Despite the rather limited and exceptionally corporate nature of these musical findings, the data capture a day in the musical life of a student who is likely to be from California — at a large, popular school — and is not getting a lot of sleep. We think this is a pretty accurate portrayal of life here at UC Berkeley.

Image Sources: Featured Image, Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4

Contact Holly Secon at [email protected].