UCPD publishes annual report on campus crime

UCPD published its annual security report Wednesday, which illustrated a drop in alcohol-related incidents and a slight increase in robbery reports between 2012 and 2013.

This year’s report includes more in-depth information on campus crime and prevention — particularly sexual assault programs and other efforts — in part because UCPD hired an external consultant to audit its reporting process through a cross-campus initiative.

Compared with 2012, reports of burglary dropped from 96 to 89 and reports of robbery rose from 51 to 58 in 2013. Alcohol-related arrests and referrals dropped from 165 to 121 and from 333 to 18, respectively, catalyzed in part by increased training and clarification of reporting criteria for Residential and Student Service Programs staff, according to the report.

Additionally, UCPD included stalking and dating and domestic violence incidents for the first time in the report, a result of legislation President Barack Obama passed in March of last year.

ASUC External Affairs Vice President Caitlin Quinn applauded the inclusion of the additional data. But she noted that the low number of sexual assault offenses — 33 in 2013, compared with 23 in 2012 — indicated less than one report per every thousand students.

“That is still really, really terrifyingly low,” Quinn said. “Robbery is about twice as much as sex offenses, and I personally know way more people that have been sexually assaulted than robbed.”

Reports of sexual assault incidents that took place off campus — including in fraternity, sorority, co-op and University Village housing — increased from seven in 2012 to 17 in 2013, which indicates that students are becoming aware that they can report to UC Berkeley even if they weren’t assaulted on campus, Quinn said.

ASUC President Pavan Upadhyayula called the trends favorable overall, but he also encouraged more change to improve security on campus.

“There’s less violent crime,” he said. “But I don’t think that’s a reason to be all gung-ho about it … There’s a long way to go to make people on this campus feel safe.”

Although not many students are likely to read the report, Upadhyayula said, any action on the campus’s administrative side is needed.

“Formalizing these policies in a report is the first step to creating a culture change,” Upadhyayula said. “We are slowly and painfully slowly moving in the direction of a new culture.”

UCPD publishes the report annually in compliance with the Clery Act, a federal law mandating that all colleges and universities participating in federal financial aid programs must disclose information about campus crime. It includes crimes on campus property, as well as incidents adjacent to campus land.

Katy Abbott covers crime and courts. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @katyeabbott.