Former Cal football player allegedly beats BART employee

A 68-year-old BART employee filed a restraining order request Friday against former Cal football player R.J. Garrett after he was beaten to the ground without provocation.

William Hunter, an agent at the Hayward BART station, and his attorney wrote in the restraining order petition that Hunter was hit on the top of his head multiple times and required nine stitches. The blows also caused blood to drain into his eye and memory lapses, the victim wrote.

The incident occurred Aug. 20 at approximately 8 p.m., while Hunter was at his station booth. Garrett, a 27-year-old Berkeley resident, allegedly left the station after the incident but was later detained by Hayward police.

The hand of the alleged perpetrator was covered in a cast, which Hunter attributed to the severity of his injuries.

“Mr. Hunter’s head needed stitches, he suffered severe headaches, and has had impaired vision for weeks after the incident,” wrote Byron Toma, a BART attorney, in the restraining order petition.

Garrett was arrested in 2010 for allegedly sexually assaulting a female minor. In that case, he was booked on suspicion of forcible sodomy on a juvenile under the age of 16 by a suspect who was over the age of 21, intimidation of a victim or witness, false imprisonment and annoying or molesting a child under the age of 18.

Garrett, a former Cal fullback, was dismissed from the football team in 2008 after he was charged, along with his former teammate Gary Doxy, for entering a Clark Kerr dorm room and using a BB gun to hold up two crew team members, who were not the intended targets.

Police had said the robbery was a response to racist comments that were allegedly made by another member of the crew team at a party.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, which first reported the BART station beating, Garrett was charged with assault and battery. He is being held without bail in Santa Rita Jail.

Kimberly Veklerov is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.