Grumble and stumble out of bed. Brush teeth. Maybe put on nonpajama clothing. Go to 8 a.m. class. Be annoyed with every single person you encounter. This is how every morning goes for us. What’s missing from this equation? Breakfast. The common saying goes that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. We often ignore this because we simply don’t have enough time — particularly if it’s something bothersome, such as oatmeal. But we’ve found the answer to settle our woes. Overnight oats: the perfect breakfast for when we’re too sleep-deprived to do anything else.
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- ½ cup of Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup of milk of your choice
- honey or maple syrup to your taste
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1. Combine these ingredients in a jar — a mason jar, if you want to be hip.
2. Pop the jar in the fridge.
3. Sleep. (This is the most important part, honestly).
4. Wake up.
6. Leave in a hurry.
No effort and no mess. That’s how we like it. It’s the perfect cure for morning-time grumpiness and is optimal for eating while fast walking — maybe even sprinting — on the go. No more excuses such as saying you don’t have time for breakfast in the morning.
Extra stuff (if you’re feeling fancy):
- 1 tablespoon of Nutella (Also, chop up some plums or a mango to place on top.)
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin butter and a pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and some banana slices
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, pomegranate seeds and mixed berries
Contact Nora Harhen at [email protected].