BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 19, 2023

Year! Review! Read our 2022 Year in Retrospect Issue!

4 cold meals for hot days

OCTOBER 06, 2014

You know what’s oppressive? The system? Maybe. “The Man”? Possibly. But we were actually thinking about the heat. Sometimes you really want to cook something creative and complex, but the heat seems to push you away from the kitchen. Experimenting with recipes suddenly seems much less fun once you realize that turning on the stove or oven would probably push the temperature in your kitchen past 90 degrees F. Fortunately, these recipes will satisfy your craving to cook without making you sweat profusely.

Smoothies

Clog.Coldmeals.Petruzzelli1

If you have a blender, hot days may hardly even faze you. All you need to do is throw in a little ice with some fresh produce and then you’re ready to casually drink your meal out of a mason jar. For fruit smoothies, about 2 cups of fresh fruit and 1/2 cup ice will yield a 16 ounce drink. Blend the fruit first, then add and blend the ice incrementally until you reach the consistency you want. Try adding in yogurt, protein powder, flaxseeds or nut butters to make your smoothie more filling and nutritious. If you’d like to jump on the green smoothie trend, this advice can help to start you off. For one serving, use 1 cup leafy greens, 1 cup ice and 1 1/2 cups fruit.

Stuffed Avocados

Clog.Coldmeals.Petruzzelli2

Did you know that Jason Mraz has an avocado farm? If you’re looking to stay as cool as Jason Mraz, remember that avocados are the perfect food for a hot day. They’re cool and creamy and best of all, they’re completely wonderful without applying any heat. They may have a very high fat content, but it’s monounsaturated fat, like the kind you would find in olive oil, so they actually have numerous health benefits. You can eat them by themselves, or you can get a little adventurous by trying one of these recipes:

Edamame and toasted coconut in avocado

Tuna-stuffed avocado salad

Guacamole

Clog.Coldmeals.Petruzzelli3

Okay, maybe this isn’t a full meal, but it’s so delicious that it doesn’t even matter. Also, guacamole is one of those dishes that seems complicated if you’ve never made it before but is actually very simple. Try this recipe. Use large avocados, and skip the tomatoes if you like your guac smooth. Your taste buds will thank you. Your friends will be impressed. Your stove need never turn on. What more can you ask for on a hot day?

Gazpacho

Clog.Coldmeals.Petruzzelli4

If avocados or smoothies aren’t your thing, how about a nice cold soup? Easily made in a blender, this soup is both healthy and satisfying. There are many different methods you can use to make it. Some include using the stove, while other do not. But let’s be real, whether or not it’s going to taste better if you cook some of the ingredients, there are some days when it’s not at all worth the extra time or heat. Neither this recipe nor this recipe asks you to go near any kitchen appliance except for a blender. You’re welcome.

Image Sources: Featured ImageImage 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4

Contact Danielle Petruzzelli at [email protected].

OCTOBER 05, 2014