Cal field hockey beats Aggies 4-1

Nathaniel Solley/File

The Cal field hockey team was able to bring home the win during this weekend’s matchup against UC Davis in a fast-paced 4-1 victory that left the Aggies reeling from what is now their fourth-straight loss.

The Bears’ win wasn’t the only cause for celebration, however, as their top scorer, Lara Kruggel, recorded her 103rd career goal, tying alum Nora Feddersen for second in Cal’s all-time points ranking. Kruggel’s two goals in the first half helped put the Bears up 3-0 going into the second.

“It was great,” Kruggel said of her two goals. “It felt good, but I think in general it was a team effort. I was very lucky that (Marrazzo) gave me the ball. She did a great pass, and, yeah, all I had to do was put it in.”

Both Clara Goni and Monica Marrazzo also contributed goals for the win, and five different players logged assists throughout the game. But despite their three-goal lead in the first half, head coach Shellie Onstead was focused on regrouping and resetting at the halftime break.

“At halftime, I felt like we still were not quite as sharp as we should be,” Onstead said. “I was a little bit tough with the team wanting them to go out and actually pick up the level of their game, and instead I think they were a little too much in their head about it.”

Because of this, five minutes into the second half, Davis forward Stephie Sabraw was able to knock one into the Bears’ net, putting Davis on the scoreboard and decreasing their deficit to two. It was Sabraw’s third goal of the season and provided a boost of confidence for the Aggies in what was looking like a desperate game. But recognizing the need to shut down any potential momentum from a goal-hungry Davis squad, Onstead called a timeout 13 minutes into the second half. It proved to be just what the Bears needed to get out of their heads and back into the game.

“I called the timeout to just get us to reset, and I’m really happy with how we responded to the timeout,” Onstead said. “So that’s the good news. Yeah, we really got back on track after that.”

The Bears finished off the game with another goal in the 49th minute, leaving the Aggies without any time on the clock left to score. For Davis, this was a rough loss considering their recent three-game losing streak, and it proves to be the fourth-straight game in which the Aggies were unable to put more than two points on the board. But while Cal may have claimed victory, they are not nearly satisfied.

“We’re not going to celebrate that much,” Kruggel said. “We can’t really rely on that. We still have a couple of games to go, and I think we’re going to look at film and see what we can improve on. I mean, Davis played a really good game, so in general we’re not going to rest on that. We’re going to go forward and see what we can improve on.”

Jessi McDonald covers field hockey. Contact her at [email protected].