Mini kale mushroom quiche

Danielle Petruzzelli/Staff

Before coming to college, I had no idea how many eggs I would eat here. It’s not something I had ever thought about: how cheap eggs are in comparison to most meat. Then suddenly, I realized eating meat with the majority of my meals was a luxury that could not continue. Meat is expensive — even the super cheap cuts. So, while I am not a vegetarian — I can hear my family breathe a collective sigh of relief — I rarely eat meat. For protein, I eat lots of eggs, beans, yogurt, peanut butter, eggs, granola protein bars, more beans, more eggs. You get the picture. I think I have tried making eggs in every way possible, scrambled with a hundred different combinations of ingredients, fried, hard boiled, deviled, as egg salad, as omelettes, in breakfast burritos, in sandwiches, in stir fry, in fried rice — and I’m sure there are more that I’m forgetting. But I haven’t tried making poached eggs, a frittata or a quiche. It’s time to remedy that. Baby steps; let’s start small with mini quiche.

Ingredients

4 large eggs

4 large egg whites

1/4 cup whole milk

10 oz. crimini mushrooms

1/4 cup yellow onion, diced

4 oz. fontina cheese, grated

2 cups chopped kale, loosely packed

6 slices bacon

Salt and pepper to taste

2 premade pie crusts (optional)

Clog.MiniQuiche.Petruzzelli1

Danielle Petruzzelli/Staff

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Then start cooking your bacon. Make it crispy. Chop it up.

Next, drain a little bit of the grease if you need to, but make sure to leave enough to saute the mushrooms and onion. That’s the next step. Once they’re cooked through, throw in the chopped kale — make sure to remove the stems, as they are very bitter. Saute for about two more minutes, until the kale is bright green and slightly wilted.

Clog.MiniQuiche.Petruzzelli2

Danielle Petruzzelli/Staff

Now it’s time to combine everything. Grab a large mixing bowl and throw all of your ingredients into it. Mix well.

Clog.MiniQuiche.Petruzzelli3

Danielle Petruzzelli/Staff

Grease your muffin tins. You can make your mini quiche extra healthy by leaving out the crust. Or you can give into the delicious crispiness like I did. Also, you can make your own pie crust, or be lazy like me and buy premade pie crusts. I divided two of them among a muffin tin, molding them into the cups. Whether you opted for pie crust or not, pour your mixture in. Fill each cup up all the way. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. They’re ready when the egg has set and turned a light, golden brown.

Clog.MiniQuiche.Petruzzelli4

Danielle Petruzzelli/Staff

Condensed recipe for your convenience

Ingredients

4 large eggs

4 large egg whites

1/4 cup whole milk

10 oz. crimini mushrooms, diced

1/4 cup yellow onion, diced

4 oz. fontina cheese, grated

2 cups chopped kale, loosely packed

6 slices bacon

Salt and pepper to taste

2 pre-made pie crusts (optional)

Directions

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Start cooking your bacon. Make it crispy. Chop it up.

Saute the mushrooms and onion in the bacon grease. Once they’re cooked through, throw in the chopped kale. Saute for about two more minutes, until the kale is bright green and slightly wilted.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all of your ingredients. Mix well.

Grease muffin tins.

Mold pie crusts into each cup.

Fill each cup to the brim with quiche mixture.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The quiche are ready when the egg has set and turned a light golden brown.

Makes 12 mini quiches.

Recipe adapted from Food Network Kitchen.

Contact Danielle Petruzzelli at [email protected].