Who was that guy dancing on a truck Wednesday afternoon?

Michael Drummond/Senior Staff

If you found yourself on Northside or near Shattuck Avenue on Wednesday, you likely heard the sounds of Bob Dylan and The Beatles blaring through antique speakers, and if you followed your ears, you eventually came across this scene:

Staff Photos/ Daniela Grinblatt

Staff Photos/ Daniela Grinblatt

Curtis Reliford, a self-described “grassroots guy,” is on a mission to help the poor. He travels around the United States, stopping in a new city each day, collecting donations to help fund various charitable causes. Reliford is currently helping a Hopi reservation in Arizona. “I make bold statements that attract attention to gain support,” he said. “It’s my destiny.”

unnamed-1

Staff Photos/ Daniela Grinblatt

Reliford began his mission in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina. He was working as a landscaper in Santa Cruz, California, when he got news that the natural disaster hit his hometown of New Orleans, Louisiana. “It was a call to action,” he said. “Something had to be done.” Reliford dropped everything and started making trips from California to Louisiana. He made 19 trips in total, all on his own.

Staff Photos/ Daniela Grinblatt

Staff Photos/ Daniela Grinblatt

Reliford has made trips to help causes in Mexico, Texas and Mississippi.  The Hopi reservation is his eighth undertaking, and he plans to continue with these missions for as long as he can. You can find more information and donate to the cause here.

Daniela Grinblatt is an assistant blog editor. Contact her at [email protected].