A recipe for mac, minus cheese

Christina Fossum/Staff

A tempting comparison of our lives during midterms to the World War II bombing of Dresden may be just a tad melodramatic, but, as Billy Pilgrim would say, so it goes. Sometimes we, too, feel as though our every quirk and quibble would be better exhibited in an alien zoo on some far-off planet rather than poked and prodded and squeezed into the mold in which we must fit ourselves to ace our obscure UC Berkeley classes. Some days, we feel just as ill-trained and out of sorts as Billy felt sandwiched between the crazy and the dying during his time spent in slaughtercheese five. And then again, some other days, rare though they may seem at the present moment, we are as eager and ambitious as Roland Weary, Pilgrim’s war-happy adversary, whenever he got the chance to show off one of his many impressive weapons … well, at least until he died of gangrene.

Alas, we hopefully are well-off enough here in the heart of all that is 21st-century luxury to avoid such discontentious dysentery … that is, unless we go a little too HAM on the probiotics. From the Melt to Homeroom, we are completely surrounded by delightfully cultured dairy! Avoiding all this can be hard to do — especially when Cafe 3 hosts mac ‘n’ cheese bars and FeelGood is selling gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches on Sproul Plaza every Wednesday and Friday. Cutting out our go-to enormous servings of the velvety goodness that is cheese poses quite the obstacle, so we have decided instead to simply alter the origins from which we create our mac. After all, the more we think about the widespread human infatuation with bovine breast milk, the tighter the knots in our stomachs become. So join us in celebrating the art of Krafty mac without the cheese with this vegan recipe:

clog.cheese.fossum

Ingredients:

– 1 pound of dried elbow macaroni

– 2 medium starchy potatoes

– 1 medium sweet potato

– 1 small yellow onion

– 1 cup of milk (soy, almond, hemp, coconut etc.)

– 1/2 cup of raw cashews

– 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast

– 1 teaspoons cumin

– 1 teaspoons of curry powder

– Salt/pepper/cayenne to taste

– 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to broil. Boil potatoes in large pot. When tender, drain and set aside. Boil pasta.

2. Saute onion in medium saucepan. Add cooked potatoes, cumin, curry, salt, pepper and cayenne. Let toast for five minutes.

3. Blend cashews, one-half of the milk and yeast in blender. Add potato and onion mixture. Blend until creamy, adding the rest of the milk if necessary.

4. Drain pasta, and pour “cheese” sauce over top.

5. Transfer mac ‘n’ cheese to oven-safe dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top. Broil for 10 minutes or until golden-brown and crispy on top.

Image Source: Kelly Garbato under Creative Commons  

Contact Christina Fossum at [email protected].