UC Berkeley beats Stanford in 2014 US News Best Global Universities Rankings

Michael Drummond/File

UC Berkeley was ranked number three on the latest US News and World Report’s Global University Rankings, one spot above arch rival Stanford University. This is the first time US News has ranked institutions of higher education worldwide. However, this was not the first time UC Berkeley has topped university reputation rankings. On this particular scale, UC Berkeley earned a global score of 88/100, placing it right behind Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Once again, it was the highest-ranked public school and beat out other notable institutions such as Oxford University, Columbia University and Princeton University.

Powered by Thomson Reuters, the rankings focus specifically on schools’ academic research and reputation overall and aim to help prospective college students accurately compare institutions around the world. The universities are ranked based on 10 indicators of reputation, including global research reputation, regional research reputation, publications, normalized citation impact, total citations, number of highly cited papers, percentage of highly cited papers, international collaboration, number of PhDs awarded and number of PhDs awarded per academic staff member. Among the 10 indicators, global research reputation was the one the campus fared best in, placing number five globally.

On a subject level, UC Berkeley was ranked the top institution for chemistry, mathematics and environment/ecology. This means the campus garnered a score of 100/100 in those subjects. Among the numerous other highly ranked subjects were physics, space science, computer science and plant and animal science.

The UC system as a whole fared strongly in the rankings, with UCLA at number eight, UC San Diego at number 18 and UCSF at number 22.

Contact Sue Ying Tay at [email protected].