Letter alleges fraternity member drugged, sexually assaulted woman at Halloween party

The campus police department received an anonymous letter Wednesday stating that a woman was drugged and sexually assaulted by a fraternity member at a Halloween party, according to a UCPD crime alert released Thursday.

UCPD forwarded the letter, written by a friend of the woman, to Berkeley Police Department because the fraternity, located on Piedmont Avenue, is in the city police department’s jurisdiction. Police do not know whether the woman attends UC Berkeley. Authorities did not disclose the exact location of the named fraternity because they said doing so could compromise the investigation.

Releasing crime alerts containing limited information is a relatively new practice that began over the summer after UCPD reviewed its compliance with the Clery Act, a federal law that mandates colleges and universities report crimes on and near campus.

UCPD now regularly releases alerts without corroborated details or suspect descriptions on the basis of informing the public in a more timely manner. Previously, certain information was only released in the annual security report, which aggregates crime data.

The campus police department also publishes alerts that come from campus security authorities — personnel ranging from athletic coaches to residence hall advisors.

Kimberly Veklerov is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.