Open UC movement occupies Wheeler Hall for 5 consecutive days

Students and other demonstrators gathered Saturday night to discuss solidarity with other UC campuses while planning the future of the Open UC movement on the fourth night of an ongoing sit-in.

The sit-in, which began Wednesday evening in response to a vote from the UC Board of Regents committee to increase tuition, moved to the second floor of Wheeler Hall — now referred to as Wheeler Commons by the demonstrators— to accommodate an unaffiliated acapella competition. Members of the movement met before returning to the ground floor.

Discussions ran throughout the evening and included issues of affiliating the Open UC movement with other political struggles worldwide and the movement’s own demographic makeup. There was also the question of whether or not any buildings will still be occupied during the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday break, though no decision was formalized.

Additionally, members of the movement voted unanimously to approve a proposal stating their solidarity with the occupation at UC Santa Cruz and their support of escalation if police evict or disrupt students occupying a UCSC campus building.

Such escalation, according to the Open UC’s website, could include UCSC students taking actions such as occupying another space or blocking a main road, but a representative from UCSC said UC Berkeley students may wish to adapt the definition of escalation to their own campus and needs.

Short films are planned to be screened in Wheeler Hall at 7:30 p.m. Sunday. Starting Monday, the official time for daily general assembly meetings will be set at 8 p.m.

Contact G. Haley Massara at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @BylineGraph.