Healthy desserts: sweet potato pie

Agnes Zhu/Staff

During the holiday season, one of the most difficult parts of cooking can be trying to please everyone. Taking into account your picky nephew, your aunt who is allergic to everything and your sister who is always trying the newest fad diet is enough to make even the best chef’s head spin. Luckily for you, we have found a recipe that is bound to be a crowd pleaser. Not only is this sweet potato casserole-pie sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo and vegan — if you replace the honey with maple syrup — it is a delicious treat that everyone will enjoy.

Ingredients: 

Filling: 

3 large sweet potatoes

1/2 cup of almond milk

1 tablespoon of olive oil

1-2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon of nutmeghomemadecafe_240x310

a splash of orange juice

Topping:

3/4 cup of chopped raw pecans

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup

1 teaspoon of olive oil

eb.pie.zhu1

Agnes Zhu/Staff

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and start to boil a pot of water on the stove. While your water is heating, peel and chop your sweet potatoes into large chunks.

eb.pie.zhu2

Agnes Zhu/Staff

eb.pie.zhu3

Agnes Zhu/Staff

Dump your sweet potato chunks into the boiling water and cook until soft.

eb.pie.zhu4

Agnes Zhu/Staff

As the sweet potatoes cook, prepare your topping. Crush your pecans and combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl.

eb.pie.zhu5

Agnes Zhu/Staff

When your potatoes are ready, mash in a large bowl until they reach your desired consistency. Then add the rest of your filling ingredients.

eb.pie.zhu6

Agnes Zhu/Staff

Place the sweet potatoes in a oven-safe dish, top with the pecans and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes — or until brown. Then serve!

eb.pie.zhu7

Agnes Zhu/Staff

With this recipe, keep in mind that most of the measurements are relatively flexible. Depending on your preference, feel free to change the amount of sweetener and spices or add different ingredients to the topping.

Adapted from http://cupcakesomg.blogspot.com/

Contact Agnes Zhu at [email protected].