Police arrest one suspect in connection to one of several cell phone thefts

Police arrested a suspect in connection to one of several cell phone thefts and one cell phone robbery on the UC Berkeley campus Monday.

At approximately 6:23 p.m., three black male juveniles in hooded sweatshirts allegedly robbed a male of his cell phone near the western part of campus and fled the scene toward Center and Oxford streets, according to a UCPD crime alert released Tuesday. Within the next hour, police received several reports of cell phone theft.

At about 6:36 p.m. a man allegedly took a phone out of the hand of a female student who was walking through Sproul Plaza and talking on the phone, according to the alert. A few minutes later a man allegedly approached a female student from behind and grabbed her cell phone while on Grinnell Pathway. At the Free Speech Movement Cafe, a man allegedly approached a female student who was texting and grabbed her phone.

Police arrested one suspect in connection with the incident after UCPD officers on patrol saw the student who had been outside the cafe chasing the suspect near Eucalyptus Grove.

According to the crime alert, the suspect is described as a 17-year-old black male, approximately 6 feet in height, with a medium build wearing a dark knit hat, gray jacket and gray pants.

Police said it is unknown whether the suspect was involved in the other incidents.

Chloee Weiner is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @_chloeew .