2 cousins sentenced to prison in connection with 2013 Berkeley shooting

Maurice Thomas and Jevon Calland were sentenced to 21 years and 16 years, respectively, in state prison Monday in connection with Berkeley’s first homicide of 2013.

Zontee Jones, 34, was shot near the intersection of Delaware Street and San Pablo Avenue on Feb. 4, 2013. According to a police affidavit, Calland threatened Jones the day before the shooting took place and planned to harm him.

The two defendants, who are cousins, pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter in September and therefore did not go to trial. Thomas, 23, and Calland, 22, were sentenced to 11 years and six years, respectively, for manslaughter, and both received an additional 10 years for use of a firearm in the commission of a felony or attempted felony, according to Teresa Drenick, spokesperson for the Alameda County district attorney.

Authorities believe the shooting resulted from a dispute regarding Calland’s girlfriend, whom Jones had dated previously, according to Berkeleyside. Witness and forensic evidence conflicted in determining who fired the shots that killed Jones.

Thomas and Calland will have to serve at least 85 percent of their sentences before consideration of parole, according to Drenick.

Amy Jiang is the lead crime reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @ajiang_dc.