We at the Clog think it is pretty safe to say that the seasons of pumpkin and peppermint have officially come and gone. And as much as we loved both, we are excited to start cooking up some brand new recipes to ring in the new year and this new season of nonholiday-related flavors. Therefore we thought we would share a recipe that has helped us personally to move on and that can, maybe, help you, too. Spend some quality time with the fam this winter break by whipping up these delicious caramel apple bars. And if you have any leftovers, let us know.
- 2 cups old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/4 cups flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 11-ounce package caramels
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 large apples, chopped (about 2 cups)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line a 13-by-9-inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides. Spray with cooking spray. Mix oats, 1 cup of flour, baking soda and spices until blended.
3. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour mixture until blended. Reserve 1 cup of oat mixture. Press remaining onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, microwave caramels and milk in microwaveable bowl on high for two minutes, or until caramels are completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in remaining flour.
5. Sprinkle apples over crust and drizzle with caramel sauce. Crumble remaining oat mixture over caramel sauce.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Use foil handles to lift dessert from pan before cutting into bars.
Recipe source: Kraft Recipes
Image Source: esimpraim under Creative Commons
Contact Summer Langton at [email protected].