Activities that will welcome you back to Berkeley

Welcome back to the beautiful Berkeley! Maybe you’re thrilled that the all-too-long month of break is over and that you can finally resume your normal life, or perhaps you’re dreading the idea of having to do work, having long forgotten what productivity looks like. No matter which camp you’re in, there are many activities on campus where your fellow students will be, ready to welcome you back home with open arms. Here are some of your options.

Wednesday, Jan. 21: Welcome Week Food Fair (10 a.m.) at Kroeber Plaza

(From Media Library)

(From Media Library)

What better way to begin the new semester than to eat your way through Berkeley’s highlights? This city is not only known for its gorgeous weather and the beautiful Campanile, but also for its delectable treats. From Ici’s to Top Dog, there is such a plentiful variety of dishes you can taste, it’s best to start as soon as you can. There’s a lot of eating to be done.

Thursday, Jan. 22: Calapalooza (11 a.m. to 4 p.m.) on Sproul Plaza

Staff/Arya Aliabadi

Staff/Arya Aliabadi

If you didn’t get enough flyers from Calapaloozas from past years or just want some more to add to your collection, this is your chance. Maybe some new clubs have even emerged! This is the place to be for all the action and fervor that surrounds the many student-run organizations on campus. Here’s your chance to get involved with whatever interests you, from volunteer opportunities to Quidditch.

Friday, Jan. 23: S’mores and Banana Boats (time TBA) at Unit 2 

Staff/Jessica Rogness

Staff/Jessica Rogness

In the intimate setting of the Unit 2 courtyard on a chilly evening, s’mores and banana boats are the best ways to make new friends. Asking someone to roast your marshmallow for you? Instant bond. Float banana boats in the stream of your new friendship. Most importantly, pig out while connecting with all these fabulous people. You never know, maybe you just might end up meeting your future husband or best friend here. Unit 2 can do great things.

Wednesday, Jan. 28: Spring 2015 DeCal Expo (5 p.m.) at Upper Sproul 

Staff/Michael Gethers

Staff/Michael Gethers

DeCals, the brilliant classes taught by fellow students covering myriad interesting topics, are a great way to score some extra credits and maximize your college experience. Whether you want to increase your knowledge about porn or about Harry Potter, the DeCal fair will nicely lay out your many options.

Monday, Feb. 2: Cal Archery Beginner Sessions begin (6 p.m. to 8 p.m.) at Golden Bear Softball Field at Clark Kerr

(From Media Library)

(From Media Library)

What better way to start off the new semester than to grab a bow and arrow and shot some bales? If you’ve ever wondered how Katniss or Legolas feel in all their glory, archery is the sport for you. These beginner sessions offer the chance to try out shooting regardless of experience. We guarantee you that this will make you feel reformed and renewed, a whole new person for a whole new year.

Contact Linsha Qi at [email protected].