Interesting classes that are still open

Kore Chan/File

That 8 a.m. got you down? Have an ex in a section? Realized how boring your math professor was? Basically, you messed up. And now you need to drop a class and pick up another one that you might actually like. So what should you do? We at the Clog found a few classes for you to take that are still open and have minimal to no prerequisites.

If you’ve taken Bio 1A, you have access to this class — exploring the evolutionary, ecological, environmental, cultural, ethnobiological and nutritional determinants of fertility, reproductive rate, infant survival and population growth.

This class examines the influence of culture and social organization on energy use, energy policy and quality-of-life issues in both the domestic and international setting.

About the survival of the Roman Empire in Byzantium, the Sassanian Empire in Iran and the rise of Islam, this class has no prerequisites and a bunch of open seats.

This course will cover the nature, causes and consequences of world urbanization, metropolitan areas, location and types of cities as well as social and demographic characteristics of urban populations

Learn more about the state we live in by looking at the history of California from pre-European contact to the present, with emphasis on the diversity of cultures and the interplay of social, economic and political developments.

This course explores representations of the Buddha and other Buddhist detities in the modern and contemporary world, including premodern works of painting and sculpture, images made by contemporary artists and images within popular culture.

Classics 10B will be an investigation of the main achievements and tensions in Roman culture, from Romulus to the High Empire.

Learn a new language! This is a beginners’ course to learn Latin.

This course explores the history — presenting a top-down (political and legal history), bottom-up (social and cultural history) and comparative (by race and ethnicity as well as region) view — of America’s struggles for racial equality, from roughly World War II to the present.

For nonmajors, this class is a comparative study of different genres and composers in Western music.

After studying the tales themselves and examining their structure and how they fit into the genre of folk literature, we will investigate how the “The Thousand and One Nights” was transmitted, translated and received in Europe as a window on 19th-century gender and racial attitudes, especially with Western views of the “oriental” other.

This course is designed for students to learn historical and cultural contexts in which various martial arts have emerged; how they have been influenced by historical, philosophical, cultural, social, political and educational developments; what functions they once performed; and the place they hold in contemporary societies.

With open seating available, the course is a general introduction to economic demography that looks into questions about the trends of recent demography.

This will be a study of how historical knowledge is produced and interpreted. Topics might include narrative and representation, the uses of evidence, forms of historical argumentation and historical controversies in the public realm.

Contact Holly Secon at [email protected].