Toast: When did you get so fancy?

It was only a short time ago that the “fancy toast” craze swept through San Francisco. It declared that toast was the latest newcomer in a long trend of transforming that which is, by definition, the thriftiest of items into something honored as “artisanal” or, rather, “craft.” “Artisanal” is so 2014. With the attachment of a few sacred words such “small-batch” and “locally grown,” toast is transformed into something that belongs in an upper echelon where the specialists of the trade can slice a loaf of bread, toast it, butter it and charge $4 per slice. We’re not here to denounce those who spend $4 on toast as pitifully gullible and trend-hungry. Instead, we’d like to suggest that, perhaps, $4 toast could be seen as, in the grand scheme of things, an inexpensive luxury that allows you to feel as though you lead a glamorous life in which every snack is something special and highly savored. However, sometimes you’ve got to be realistic. You can’t spend $4 every time you want some toast for breakfast. Fear not, though. You do not need hands crafted by the gods of hipsterdom to make your own equivalent of this fancy breakfast. We’ll guide you through the laborious process of making your own single source, fair trade, locally toasted … toast.

Honey Cinnamon Toast

Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 11.01.04 PM

1 slice of brioche bread* (thickly cut) + butter + honey + cinnamon

1. Toast bread in toaster. We suggest heating butter in a pan over medium heat, though, and then toasting it in the pan. It will maximize the butter soaking into bread process.
  2. Spread honey on to bread.
  3. With a heavy hand, sprinkle cinnamon on to toast.

*You can buy a loaf at Trader Joe’s relatively inexpensively.

Cilantro Avocado Toast

Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 11.02.46 PM

1 slice of hearty whole wheat bread + half an avocado + juice of half a lime + 1 Tbsp of chopped cilantro + salt and pepper to taste (optional: top with egg and hot sauce)

1. Toast bread.
  2. Smash cilantro and avocado together.
  3. Spread avocado mixture onto toast.
  4. Squeeze lime over toast.
  5. Add salt and pepper.

Image Sources: penguincakesAlphaPremshree Pillai under Creative Commons

Contact Nora Harhen at [email protected].