While some may argue that we don’t even experience winter here in Berkeley, the dreary days we do experience can really bring us down after a while. Here at the Clog, we’ve decided that it’s high time to pick ourselves back up. And what better way to ensure a smooth sailing semester — both in terms of our mental and physical health — than with a fresh and invigorating citrus salad? Even all of you stuck on the dreaded meal plan shouldn’t feel deterred, because we’re writing with you in mind! Whether you dine at Cafe 3 or prefer to feast at Foothill, we are here to help! Follow these simple steps to create an Ina Garten-caliber salad that will cleanse your body and awaken your mind — a great kick-start to a happy, healthy spring semester!
Step 1: Harvest the following from your local dining commons (or farmers’ market)
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup beets
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup your choice: edamame, carrots, cucumbers, chick peas
- optional: 1/4 cup feta
- 1/4 cup seeds
- for dressing: 2 tbsp cup orange juice, 1 tsp mustard, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp oil
Step 2: Prepare ingredients
1. Mix together dressing in bottom of medium bowl
2. Peel and segment citrus
3. Add to bowl along with other salad ingredients
4. Toss salad so dressing is evenly coated
Contact Christina Fossum at [email protected].