Top 5 places to watch The Academy Awards

Missing out on the Oscars because you don’t have cable access? Did your invite to the legendary Vanity Fair after party get lost in the mail? Fret not, film fanatic. There are plenty of budget-friendly places in the Bay Area for you to get your #Oscars groove on. Check out these venues, all of which are screening the annual shindig live.

Funcheap’s 2015 Oscars party at SoMa StrEat Park in San Francisco

Are you the type of person who practices your future Academy Award acceptance speech in the mirror? Well, Funcheap’s Oscar bash is the perfect event for you! It will even have a wax statue of Neil Patrick Harris, so you can pretend you’re accepting the award from Barney himself — and come away with some cool selfies. They’re rolling out a red carpet, but the dress code is totally lax.  Show up in jeans and a T-shirt or your finest couture. Just don’t forget to thank the little people during your speech!

The event is free with an RSVP, but you can purchase an all-you-can-drink champagne flight for $25. For more information, click here.

Academy Awards at the New Parkway Theater in Oakland

Will the Oscar go to Bradley or Benedict? “Boyhood” or “Birdman”? Waiting for these big reveals can make anyone a bit peckish. Luckily, with the purchase of a $25 ticket, you have access to an all-you-can-eat finger food extravaganza at the New Parkway Theater in Oakland. The screening rooms are also pretty awesome, with plush couches and graffiti-adorned walls. Oh, and if you need a good laugh, check out the laid-back theater’s rules and regulations.

Doors open at 3:30 p.m. for the red carpet telecast, and more information can be found here.

Up The Oscars at the Roxie in San Francisco

This party is perfect for those of you who love to hate the Oscars but watch them anyway. The Roxie hosts an annual bash that pokes fun at the circus fest that is Hollywood awards season. Enjoy casting your own ballot to see how your votes correspond with the Academy’s selection, and be sure to take a few pictures with the folks who come dressed in costume. Bonus: The Roxie has removed all commercials from the broadcast and will show music videos and film clips in their place.

Doors open at 3:30 p.m., and tickets are $12 online and $15 at the door. For more information, click here.

Academy Awards cocktail party at the Variety Screening Room in San Francisco

For those of you who don’t mind paying a bit extra, the Variety Screening Room is hosting a glam evening that also doubles as a worthy cause. Proceeds from ticket sales go to the Variety Children’s Charity, which helps disadvantaged and disabled children in the Bay Area. Ticket packages range from $35 to $150, with items such as swag bags and unlimited champagne included. The location is also great, as Variety is located a stone’s throw away from BART.

For more information, click here.

Your couch

If you need to mend your wounds after having missed out on a nomination, we totally understand, and so does Leonardo DiCaprio. Getting snubbed can be a definite blow. Feel free to chill at home and reminisce about what might have been. Tune in to the streaming site here. You’ll still have to sit through commercials, but there’s the added benefit of having access to a bunch of behind-the-scenes video clips. You can also yell obscenities at the computer screen without strangers questioning your sanity. What can possibly be better?

Gillian Edevane is the arts editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on twitter @gillianmaee1