2 San Leandro men charged with murder in December city double shooting

Two San Leandro residents were charged with the murder of 36-year-old Kamahl Middleton, who was killed during a double shooting in December on San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley.

Khalil Phanor, 18, and Carl Young, 20, were charged by the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office on counts of murder, second-degree robbery and assault with a firearm, according to court documents.

Phanor’s charges contain clauses of personal and intentional discharge of a firearm to cause great bodily injury. Young also faces a special-circumstances clause for allegedly assisting in the murder and robbery, according to the documents.

Police arrested Young in Oakland on Thursday in connection with the double shooting and booked him to Berkeley Jail, according to a Berkeley Police Department news release. A 17-year-old San Leandro resident, whose name was not disclosed due to the suspect’s status as a juvenile, was also arrested and booked to the Alameda County Juvenile Detention Center.

The arrests were made with the support of a BPD special response team, the San Leandro Police Department SWAT team and the Oakland and Alameda police departments.

Phanor is still at large, and the case is still under investigation, according to police.

A warrant for his arrest was scheduled to be issued Monday, according to the Alameda County’s criminal docket finder.

On Dec. 29, police responded to calls of a shooting in a parking lot near 1941 San Pablo Ave. about 9:45 p.m.

Middleton, who was from El Sobrante, was pronounced dead at the scene from multiple shotgun pellet wounds to his shoulder and chest, according to the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office Coroner’s Bureau.

The female victim, 28, was shot in the arm but survived her injuries, according to an affidavit. Her name has not been disclosed due to the ongoing status of the investigation.

If convicted, the two suspects are eligible to serve sentences in state prison for the commission of violent felonies.

Young is set to enter pleas at the next court appearance scheduled for March 9.

Amy Jiang is the lead crime reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @ajiang_dc.