Police arrest 2 additional suspects in connection to Berkeley double shooting

Police arrested two more suspects in connection with a December double shooting on San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley that resulted in one victim’s death, bringing the total number of arrested suspects to four.

On Thursday, regional task forces in Washington located and arrested 18-year-old Khalil Phanor at an apartment complex in southeast Everett, according to a Berkeley Police Department news release. The next morning, the Hayward Police Department, with aid from its SWAT team, arrested 19-year-old Gregory Foote in Hayward, California. He was booked into a Berkeley jail.

The arrests follow those of Carl Young, 20, and a 17-year-old San Leandro resident, according to police. Young, from San Leandro, was arrested Feb. 19 in Oakland in connection with the double shooting and was booked into a Berkeley jail. The 17-year-old, whose name has not been disclosed because he is a minor, was also arrested and taken to the Alameda County juvenile detention center for booking.

Both Young and Phanor were charged Monday with murder, second-degree robbery and assault with a firearm by the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office, according to court documents. A warrant was issued the same day for Phanor’s arrest.

On Dec. 29, police responded to calls of a shooting in a parking lot on the 1900 block of San Pablo Avenue about 9:45 p.m. They found 36-year-old Kamahl Middleton, as well as a 28-year-old female victim, suffering from gunshot wounds.

Middleton, who was from El Sobrante, California, was pronounced dead at the scene from multiple shotgun pellet wounds to his shoulder and chest, according to the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office Coroner’s Bureau. The female victim was shot in the arm but survived her injuries, according to an affidavit.

According to police, the investigation into the shooting is still underway.

Amy Jiang is the lead crime reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @ajiang_dc.