C’s get degrees: Achieving the exceptional average

Marcus Gedai/File

You may have heard the infamous mantra, “C’s get degrees.” We usually hear these words directed at us preceded by, “Don’t worry,” when friends attempt to console us as we grieve over our GPA’s. Though we appreciate the assonance of the phrase, we at the Clog don’t find very much appeal in the idea of hoping to graduate by barely scraping by in all our classes. Even if we’re not soaring through all our classes with ease, we at least wanted to walk steadily and confidently through our undergraduate career. Now that we’ve spent our fair share of time here at Cal, we think we’ve finally started to figure out how to do that.  The five C’s that actually will get you your degree:

1. Caffeine​

​The first key to succeeding is, well, being awake to do so. Whether your fix is coffee, tea or a sugar-charged energy drink, find a way to stay up! With the cost of tuition at $27,386, every day of class costs $152 (don’t get us started on paying out-of-state).  Falling asleep in class is basically you taking an insanely expensive nap. If you’re not a fan of caffeine, find another way to stay energized, like getting your endorphins flowing at the gym or trying the old-fashion energy booster: rest. Find your way to summon enough energy to function at your full capacity.

2. Communication​

Being just another face on an overpopulated campus, no one will know who you are unless you make yourself known. Professors, GSIs and advisers can’t help you if you don’t reach out. Communicate your needs, your questions and your ideas because you’ll never know when someone else might have the answers you’re looking for. Participate in discussion, raise your hand in lecture, set up appointments with your adviser and GO TO OFFICE HOURS!

3. Candor​

Be open and honest with yourself.  Whether it’s being honest with yourself about relationships or about pursuing the major you really want — keep it real, keep it you.  Don’t waste time trying to convince yourself that you’re happy with what you’re doing if you know you’re really not. Confront your inconvenient truths and challenge yourself to make the change you need. When you’re truly happy with yourself it becomes infinitely easier to maintain motivation.

4. Confidence

If you’ve figured out who and what will really make you happy, do something about it! As they say, college is the land of opportunity, but it only lasts so long.  Make every moment count.  You don’t want to look back on these years and see yourself waiting on the sidelines because you didn’t think you were capable of achieving what you knew you wanted.  Quit doubting yourself and make your move!

5. Community​

A​t a large public university with more than 36,000 students, it’s so easy to feel lost in the crowd. One way to make such a big school feel a little bit smaller is by building your own community. Join clubs, play intramural sports, dance, volunteer — explore your kind of social scene. Create a support system by finding people who share your passions and struggles. The friends you make in college become your chosen family.

Bump up the C’s on your transcript with these C’s.  Being average might not be so bad if you’re the Berkeley average because, hell, if you made it here, you must be exceptional.

Contact Rayanne Piaña at [email protected].