BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Man arraigned after being arrested in connection with fatal December shooting in Berkeley

|

Staff

MARCH 03, 2015

A 19-year-old man from Hayward was arraigned Tuesday in connection to a double shooting in December that killed one victim.

Gregory Foote is one of four suspects who have been arrested in connection with the shooting on San Pablo Avenue that killed 36-year-old El Sobrante resident Kamahl Middleton. Foote and two of the other men face charges of murder, second-degree robbery and assault with a firearm, according to court documents.

Foote was identified by an alleged co-participant in the murder, according to an affidavit. He was arrested Friday on the 2300 block of Tahiti Street in Hayward by Hayward Police Department officers and SWAT team members, according to a Berkeley Police Department news release.

Carl Young, a 20-year-old San Leandro resident and Khalil Phanor, 18, were also charged in connection with the shooting, according to court documents.

Phanor is alleged to have discharged the firearm that killed Middleton, the documents said, while Young and Foote are alleged to have aided and abetted in the commission of a robbery. The three would be eligible to serve time in state prison if convicted.

Young was arrested Feb. 19 in Oakland; Phanor was arrested last Thursday in Washington state, according to the release.

According to the Alameda County inmate locator, Young is scheduled for a plea hearing next Monday at the Rene C. Davidson Courthouse in Oakland. Foote was scheduled for a plea hearing Wednesday.

Additionally, a 17-year-old suspect from San Leandro, whose name has not been disclosed by authorities because he is a juvenile, was arrested and booked into an Alameda County juvenile detention center, the release said.

Police, responding to multiple reports of a shooting in a parking lot in the 1900 block of San Pablo Avenue on the night of Dec. 29, found Middleton and a female victim suffering from gunshot wounds.

Middleton was pronounced dead at the scene. The 28-year-old female victim was shot in the arm but survived her injuries, according to an affidavit.

Contact Amy Jiang at 

MARCH 04, 2015