BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Maxwell Family Field to reopen Monday

MICHELLE KIM | STAFF

MARCH 03, 2015

After its closure of more than a year for renovations, the Maxwell Family Field will reopen Monday, serving as a facility for both varsity and intramural sports.

According to a statement released Friday by Cal Athletics, the multipurpose field, which sits at the top of a newly opened stadium parking garage on Gayley Road, will serve as a practice and competition location for the Cal football and lacrosse teams, the University of California Marching Band and other campus intramural and club sports teams.

Both the reopening of the field and the construction of the parking structure are part of the Southeast Campus Integrated Projects, which also included seismic corrections to California Memorial Stadium and the creation of the Simpson Student-Athlete High Performance Center. A private third-party contractor carried out construction of the field.

The women’s lacrosse team will begin practicing at the field March 11, with specific programming for other athletic and recreational activities to begin shortly thereafter, according to Cal Athletics associate athletic director Wesley Mallette.

Before the renovations, the Cal women’s field hockey team practiced and held competitions at Maxwell Family Field. Once construction started, however, the team had to practice at the temporary space of the Hearst La Loma Tennis Courts — only one-fourth the size of a regulation hockey field — and travel to a facility at Stanford University to host competitions.

The field hockey team’s new permanent home — Underhill Field, located on College Avenue between Haste Street and Channing Way — is expected to reopen before the start of the team’s fall 2015 season.

Additionally, a new parking garage under the field opened in February at 2175 Gayley Rd., near Memorial Stadium and the Greek Theatre. Run by City Park, a private parking service company based in San Francisco, the two-level garage holds 450 parking spaces, which are available to both the campus and the general public.

Spencer Sechler, director of marketing at City Park, said in an email that campus parking permits are not valid for parking in the new garage, though individuals can reserve a space monthly starting at $130. According to the garage’s website, the garage is tentatively open daily from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. but will eventually be open 24 hours.

With the opening of the new garage structure, the Prospect Court parking lot — which sits south of Memorial Stadium — will be closed permanently. Christine Shaff, director of communications at the campus real estate division, said visitors to the Greek Theatre, UC Berkeley School of Optometry’s clinic, the campus Haas School of Business and Memorial Stadium will likely utilize the new parking structure.

Contact Jessie Qian at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @jessieq96.

MARCH 05, 2015