BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 03, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Better with the lights off: Campus by night

MARCH 10, 2015

Whether it’s a deep conversation or donuts from King Pin, some things are just more interesting and more appealing late at night. If you’ve ever taken a walk through UC Berkeley at night, you know that campus is no exception. But if you haven’t done so or just don’t know what we mean, don’t you worry. We at the Clog have compiled a list of 10 places on campus you need to check out at night.

1. Sproul Plaza

Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 12.33.29 PM

Sproul at Night

Perhaps the most stark contrast on the list. By day, Sproul is a lively battlefield of aggressive flyering and thought-provoking demonstrations. By night, one of the most historical places on campus becomes a good place to reflect and soak up the inspiration.

2. Li Ka Shing Center for Biomedical and Health Sciences

Li Ka Shing

Li Ka Shing

One of the newer buildings on campus, Li Ka Shing boasts an attractive architecture with sharp angles and large glass faces. By night, the transparent surface lights up against the dark sky to make the building look like a glass castle of intellect.

3. North Gate

North Gate

North Gate

Northside is known to be the quieter side of campus where the liveliness is pristine yet minimalist, like the columns of North Gate. When the gate is lit up, the columns seem stronger and more dignified, illuminating the entrance to campus. Fiat lux.

4. Doe Library

Doe

Doe

Day or night, it’s no argument that the facade of Doe Library is one of the most iconic and beautiful sights on campus. When the sun goes down, the light flooding out from the North Reading Room seems to highlight the intricate architecture surrounding the entrance.

5. Edwards Stadium

Edwards Stadium

Edwards Stadium

We don’t know about you, but the idea of a large field of fresh grass below an open sky full of stars is enough to draw us into Edwards. Tip: If you climb to the top of the western bleachers, you get a perfect view of a lit-up Berkeley hills.

6. Eucalyptus Grove

Eucalyptus Grove

Eucalyptus

For some reason, we feel that the darkness brings a slightly more sinister tone to the grove. It feels as if some kind of scary woodland creature from a fairytale might just be present. But the eucalyptus smells just as good as always.

7. Haas Pavilion

Haas Pavilion

Haas Pavilion

By night, one of the most grand-looking facilities on our campus just seems even grander. Maybe it has to do with the lighting, but the building just seems taller. Haas Pavilion at night looks fit to house champions — as it does.

8. Haas School of Business

Haas

Haas

Without the distracting scene of ambitious students rushing about during the busy day, you can better appreciate the architectural beauty that is the William & Janet Cronk Eastern Gate at the Haas School of Business.

9. Campanile

CampanileCampanile

This list would not be complete without one of our campus’s most recognized symbols. By night, the Campanile towers over the campus like a beacon of light, radiating with prominence and wisdom. Gazing up at the iconic structure at night, we can’t help but think, “Damn, we love UC Berkeley.”

10. Evans Hall

EvansEvans

Finally, even against a romantic moonlit sky, Evans is … well, it’s still Evans.

There you have it, 10 (er … well, nine) places on campus that are just a little bit more interesting when the sun goes down. Bring a friend along with you for a night adventure or get some alone time and take a walk by yourself and reflect on life. Just make sure you call BearWalk afterwards to get home safely!

Contact Rayanne Piaña at 

MARCH 10, 2015