Matt Holtzer announces independent candidacy for ASUC Senate

Maggie Azary/Courtesy

UC Berkeley freshman Matt Holtzer announced Sunday that he will run for ASUC Senate as an independent candidate in the upcoming spring elections.

Holtzer is running on a platform that aims to improve the quality, quantity and accessibility of entertainment on campus. He also wants to increase funding for bringing entertainment to UC Berkeley, make it easier for groups looking to put on events and help transform Lower Sproul into the heart of student entertainment.

According to the campaign’s creative director, campus freshman Dan Savo, the intentions behind Holtzer’s decision to run as an independent candidate stem from his desire to break free from student politics and have the creative freedom to run his own campaign.

“We just want to improve the entertainment on campus,” Holtzer said. “That doesn’t need to be done with party politics.”

Equipped with previous experience working in event planning for SUPERB and as an event promoter and DJ at various events, Holtzer hopes to create more leisure events, such as film nights on Memorial Glade, speaker tours and music festivals.

Holtzer also said he will take advantage of the ASUC website, smartphone app and email list to increase the publicity of campuswide entertainment and ensure that students know what sort of events are happening when and where.

Savo said that entertainment may not be the first issue that people think of in terms of what is necessary for college students but that Holtzer’s platform does promote what UC Berkeley students need — leisure.

“We need a break,” Savo said. “We want to hit the whole Cal experience, not just school.”

SQUELCH! announced a three-person nonsatirical senate slate Feb. 16, and Student Action announced 15 candidates this month. CalSERVE announced a 15-candidate senate slate March 9. Two other independent candidates — Sumayyah Din and Cuahuctemoc Salinas — have also announced that they will run for senate, and Sheena Paul is running with the Cooperative Movement Party.

The 2015-16 ASUC elections will take place April 7, 8 and 9.

Contact Jennifer Kang at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @jennikang.