BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 03, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

ASUC Elections Council meets to discuss candidate, party registration for upcoming elections

MARCH 15, 2015

The ASUC Elections Council met Friday afternoon to confirm which candidates are running in the upcoming spring election and discuss referenda that will be placed on the ballot.

The council’s meeting signified the end of the filing period for candidates and parties. The council, however, was unable to verify the registration for every candidate and party because it had not received a large portion of completed forms from the LEAD Center, where forms had been submitted.

Candidates with missing registration forms — including those from the Student Action, Defend Affirmative Action, CalSERVE and SQUELCH! parties, and a number of independent candidates — as well as two parties, Student Action and Apathy, have had their certifications tabled. Their registration will be reconsidered Monday night, when the remaining forms are received. The council will confirm which candidates are registered definitively before the mandatory candidates’ meeting Tuesday evening.

At the next council meeting Monday, the council will discuss issues that it was unable to fully addressed Friday because of missing registration forms. These issues — including the status of the Apathy Party, which has never been registered before; the name of the Independent Party, which was declared unsuitable because of possible confusion with candidates unaffiliated with any party; and the status of an ASUC Senate candidate, Lia Johnson, who said she was running with DAAP but did not appear on the party’s list of running candidates — will be cleared up before the candidates’ meeting.

Though Nicolas Jaber has been certified as the Independent Party’s presidential candidate, the party itself was not certified. Two additional parties, Student Action and the Apathy Party, had their certification tabled. Six parties have put forward presidential candidates for the election, pending the certification of both their parties and candidates.

According to council Attorney General Natalja Karniouchina, the council is also putting stricter regulations on candidates because of excess absences at last year’s candidates’ meeting. The council defined valid excuses for absence as either an academic conflict excused before the meeting or a documented health emergency.

“We must follow the bylaws to a T in this election,” said Karniouchina. “If they leave (the meeting), they can’t run.”

Though the council was unable to officially register two parties and a large portion of the candidates during the Friday meeting, it unanimously certified four referenda and one constitutional amendment for the upcoming ballot — the only five measures to be registered.

The propositions will be available for students to vote on in the approaching elections and were determined to be placed on the ballot in the order dictated by the Elections Council. The Constitutional Clarity and Consistency Amendment, the Wellness Fee Referendum, the Bringing Life to the UC Berkeley Experience (BLUE) Fee Referendum, the Giving Opportunities and Leadership Development (GOLD) Fee Referendum, and the Solar Energy Reinvestment Referendum were all confirmed.

The 2015-16 ASUC general elections will take place April 7, 8 and 9.

Contact Kate Wolffe at [email protected].

MARCH 15, 2015