Associate vice chancellor of Student Affairs’ residential and student service programs announces retirement

LeNorman Strong, associate vice chancellor of Student Affairs for residential and student service programs, has announced plans to retire from his position in May.

Strong, who has held the position since 2009, plans to retire May 1 to complete his doctorate and move closer to family, according to a Wednesday statement from Student Affairs spokesperson Adam Ratliff. As associate vice chancellor, Strong oversees various student services, including housing, child care, orientation programs and dining services.

“It was a difficult decision I made after contemplating how to balance my personal and professional obligations,” Strong said in the statement. “I’m excited for the future, and perhaps you may even see me as a visiting professor on campus someday.”

Strong’s emphases during his tenure included enhancing the Early Childhood Education Program and planning the development of third-party student housing. He also worked on fostering diversity and inclusion on campus through his work on the Bears Breaking Bread program and initiatives supporting staff from various ethnic groups, according to the statement.

Since the start of Strong’s term, projects and renovations at Clark Kerr, Maximino Martinez Commons, the Dwight Way and Clark Kerr Campus Child Development centers, Qualcomm Cafe and Pat Brown’s Cafe were completed, as well as seismic enhancement projects in Units 1, 2 and 3.

Upon his retirement, Strong will resume focusing on completing his dissertation. He and his wife, Bernice King-Strong, also intend to move to Dallas, Texas, according to the statement. Steve Sutton, assistant vice chancellor of Student Affairs for residential and student service programs, will take on interim responsibilities for RSSP.

Melissa Wen is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @melissalwen.