Case dismissed against homeless men involved in recorded fight with Berkeley ambassador

The case against two homeless men arrested in March after an altercation with two Berkeley ambassadors was dismissed, the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office said Wednesday.

The men — Nathan Swor, charged with exhibiting and assaulting with a deadly weapon, and James Cocklereese, charged with disturbing the peace, battery and criminal threats — were previously released on a plea bargain. After a video of the incident — in which a Berkeley ambassador appears to assault one of the men — was uploaded to YouTube on March 22, police forwarded it to the district attorney’s office.

According to Rebecca Richardson, spokesperson for the district attorney’s office, the case was reviewed Monday, and the defendants were allowed to withdraw their guilty plea. A judge stipulated that a factual finding of innocence would be recorded for both defendants.

The ambassador depicted assaulting the men in the video was fired, according to the Downtown Berkeley Association, and another ambassador was suspended pending an investigation.

G. Haley Massara is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @BylineGraph.