Spring break, the aftermath: How to get your groove back

Arya Aliabadi/File

Everyone say it with us: “We are back at school; spring break is over.” That wasn’t so hard, was it? Actually, it probably was. We’re sure that the last Sunday of spring break brought feelings of dread, anxiety and “bleeeeeh” just thinking about classes the next day. Sure, you’ll do the necessary assignments and you may even try your best, but being totally honest, the amount of effort that was going to be put into actual lecture that Monday was close to nothing and everyone knew it. The audacity of making us return to classes at this world-class institution, how dare they!

Anyway, what’s done is done, and April is upon us. To help you recover from spring break, we at the Clog have developed a foolproof four-step program to get you back into the groove!

1) Reflection

In order to move on with your life, you must reflect on spring break. Whether is was good or bad, it is healthy to acknowledge that it happened. There definitely was a time when you did go to the beach all day and did shove your backpack in a corner and forgot about it. Look at pictures and reminisce because this is the first step to continuing with the semester.

2) Acceptance

Put your backpack on, grab your breakfast to go, look in the mirror and soak it all in. Tell yourself that spring break is over. A good way to ease yourself back into school mode, if you’re still walking around campus in denial like a zombie, is to check your email. Reading messages from professors and GSI’s will give you a taste of reality, and will hopefully give you the courage to proceed. Get to class because you can do this!

3) Planning

It’s April, so thinking about the semester ending in about a month might seem exciting, but also stressful. Looking at a calendar and all your class syllabi can help you map out the rest of your semester, so you don’t fall behind. Making a calendar of important deadlines will help you realize that there’s not much time left. Staying on top of your assignments and knowing when your exams are can help reduce future stress, allowing you to stay calm in a sea of anxious students.

4) Napping

This is perhaps the most important step of all. All that mental preparation (and maybe even crying) for the remaining days of the semester has lead you to a point of exhaustion. After steps 1-3, it’s normal to be tired, so take a nap. You’ll need your energy, and it’s O.K. to take a break every once in a while because, in the long run, they help keep us going.

Contact Mary-Ann Niktas at [email protected].