Police respond to reports of strong-arm robberies early Wednesday morning

Campus and Berkeley police responded to two reports of strong-arm robberies Wednesday morning.

About 12:48 a.m. on Wednesday morning, UCPD responded to a report of a 19-year-old student who was robbed of his cell phone, according to a crime alert released Wednesday. The student was walking on Warring Street north of Parker Street when he was allegedly approached by four men. The men allegedly demanded his phone and left with it when the student complied.

Several minutes before, Berkeley Police Department officers had responded to a strong-arm robbery near Parker Street and College Avenue, according to the alert. A male victim was allegedly approached by four males while walking. One of the males punched the victim in the face, while the others rifled through his pockets and took his phone and wallet, according to the alert. The victim suffered minor injuries.

According to the alert, the suspects in the first robbery are described as:

Suspect No. 1 — An approximately 19-year-old black male, 5-foot-7 to 5-foot-10 in height, about 165 pounds, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt.

Suspects No. 2, 3 and 4 — Approximately 19-year-old black males, 5-foot-7 to 5-foot-10 in height, about 165 pounds, wearing black hooded sweatshirts with cropped haircuts.

According to the alert, the suspects in the second robbery are described as:

Suspect No. 1 — A 19-year-old black male, 5-foot-7 in height, wearing a blue or gray sweatshirt.

Suspects No. 2, 3 and 4 — Black males, with no further description.

Melissa Wen is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @melissalwen.