Cal men’s track and field wins Big Meet for 3rd straight season

Ariel Hayat/Senior Staff

The Cal men’s track and field team walked away from the Cobb Track and Angell Field this Saturday victorious, beating Stanford and winning the Big Meet for the third straight season with a final score of 101-62. The win marks the 69th victory for the Bears in the history of the Big Meet, with the Cal’s men’s team now leading the all-time series with a record of 69-50-2.

The men’s team was led by junior distance runner Thomas Joyce, who had a record-setting meet with his victories in both the 1,500 and 3,000 meters. Not only was Joyce able to break his personal best in the 3,000 meter with a time of 8:00.50, but he was also able to set a new Big Meet record in the 1,500 meter with a time of 3:39.43.

“It was a great performance by our team,” Joyce said. “I was thrilled to break the record in the 1,500 and come back to win the 3K, but there were highlights everywhere. Overall, it was a great effort to dominate Stanford.”

Among the notable highlights from Saturday was redshirt senior distance runner Collin Jarvis’ victory in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. After being diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in late 2013, therefore having to undergo several surgeries and missing the 2014 season as a result, Jarvis won his event with a time of 9:19.08, earning his first win of the year in an inspirational fashion.

Although the Cal women’s team fell to the Cardinal with a final score of 111-49, freshman Bethan Knights was able to move to sixth on Cal’s All-Time Performers List for the 1,500 meter with time of 4:19.60, giving her a fourth place finish. Junior Victoria Rische also had a personal best for the pole vault and improved her standing on the Cal All-Time Performers List, as she cleared a winning height of 13-1.50.

While this year’s team is younger and less experienced than the one that beat Stanford last season, many freshmen showed why they will be a force on the team for years to come. On the men’s team, Jalen Doss set personal bests in both the 400 meter (48.38) and the 400 meter hurdles (54.16), as did Peter Simon in the shot put (59-9.50), Garrett Corcoran in the 3,000 meter (8:24.36), David Chukwu in the high jump (6-6.00) and Matt Schwartz in the pole vault (15-7.25).

On the women’s side, several freshmen also set personal bests: Morgan Robertson in the 200 meter (25.90), Nuria Tio Peig in the 800 meter (2:16.58), Leanne Jarvis in the 3,000 meter (9:39.30), and Destiny Parker (165-6) and Ginika Iwuchukwu (139-0) in the hammer.

“There have been hall of famers, Olympians, world-record holders that all got their careers started at the Big Meet,” said Tony Sandoval, director of track and field, to Cal Athletics. “For others, maybe the Big Meet is the apex of their career, but either way, the Big Meet brings out the best in us.”

Chris Tril covers track and field. Contact him at [email protected].