How to: Wake up early to run

Exercising first thing in the morning on a mostly empty stomach can help you burn more fat compared to when you’ve already eaten. It gets it out of the way, so you can’t use excuses such as “I’m too tired” or “I don’t have time.” And the best thing? Getting your morning started, instead of waking up 10 minutes before class starts and feeling rushed all day.

Here are some tips for you to move your butt off the bed and tone it into a firm, spectacular behind.

1. First things first, getting out of bed, because doing air bicycles while lying down does not really count as working out. Move your alarm more than an arm’s reach away so you can’t snooze it or shut it off quickly. That also will get you out of bed to turn off the alarm. Do not give in to temptation and go back to bed. By the time you’re done in the bathroom, you’re semi-awake already, so might as well get the day started.

2. Lay out your outfit before going to sleep. Or if you don’t even want to change in the morning, wear your running clothes as pajamas. A cute outfit might just be the incentive you need. That way, all you need to do is pull on your beloved sneakers and off you go running. This also minimizes the thinking required before heading out the door, which prevents the dreaded question from arising, “Do I really want to go running today?” Squash that absurd thought immediately. Of course, you want to go running today — don’t you want that six pack and firm calves?

3. Go to sleep early, and read before bed instead of looking at a screen to help you feel sleepy. Review lecture notes or pick up a book you’ve always wanted to read. It’s also important to maintain a consistent schedule so your body can adjust to the early-to-bed-and-early-to-rise cycle.

4. Have a running buddy! Find someone who runs at an identical pace to you. Besides companionship in the early hours of the morning, you also have someone to keep you accountable and motivated.

5. Think about the reward. If you have trouble waking up in the morning, maybe recite a mantra or a quote that really inspires you. It might feel painful in the beginning, but think about how great your day is going to be or how happy you are with yourself for being up and running. Early morning runs will soon become a breeze once you push past the initial discomfort.

Image Source: Ed Yourdon

Contact Stephanie Wang at [email protected].