How to make the most out of the last office hours of the semester

With the semester coming to an end, you have probably realized there will not be too many chances to go to office hours, so take advantage of this last week of school to answer any remaining questions or concerns you might have. The Clog has some advice on what to talk about in order to make the most out of your last office hours of the semester.

1. About the course

If you’re worried about your grade, still have unanswered questions or have trouble with homework and other assignments, do not hesitate to talk to your instructors. With finals coming up, you might want to ask about its format, the content you’ll be tested on, important themes and study tips. At this point, there is no excuse to not go to office hours. We promise it will be worth it.

2. About your performance in class

Regardless of whether you are a straight A student or not, there’s always room for improvement. If you don’t clearly see your own problems, it might be a good idea to get feedback from your professors about your class performance thus far. If all of your classes are large lectures, then you might want to consider talking to your GSIs as well, for more individual advice. Going to office hours is a great way to build a personal connection with your instructors as well.

3. About enhancing a specific academic interest 

Planning on making a book list to read over the summer? Now is a great time to ask your professor to recommend some personal favorites for you. You maybe want to go over your plan with professors who have read those books and have a good idea of their practicability rather than taking on a project over your head. Besides book recommendations, you may have specific summer goals that relate to your major: an archaeological site, a physics competition or a language program. Believe it or not, many of your professors will have new ideas for your summer endeavors.

4. About your class schedule for next semester

Before the semester ends, it’s a good idea to plan ahead in order to outsmart Telebears. Receiving advice from your professors on which classes to take and what they recommend is a more efficient and reliable source than frantically searching for suitable courses on Ninja Courses and Berkeleytime, and easier than getting an appointment with your adviser so close to the end of the semester. Remember to ask about summer courses, as well.

5. About your future

Lastly, don’t feel limited to talk about your classes and assignments. You can discuss your future career aspirations with your professors, as well. Bring your thoughts regarding internship opportunities and research positions. Forming a connection with your professor also opens the possibility of continuing your relationship, which you can maintain through email. Remember that your instructors are experts in their field of study and are excellent sources for advice and academic support.

Image Sources:CollegeDegrees360 under Creative Commons.

Contact Megan Wang at [email protected].