Judge grants new pretrial lineup for man accused of robbery, murder

OAKLAND — Carl Young, one of four suspects accused of murder and second-degree robbery in a December double shooting in Berkeley, appeared briefly in court Monday afternoon for court proceedings.

Young’s lawyer filed a motion calling for a pretrial lineup in front of a witness on the grounds of possible misidentification. Of the four suspects who have been arrested in connection with the robbery and murder, Young was the only defendant to appear in court Monday.

Young, 20, and his two co-defendants Khalil Phanor and Gregory Foote, allegedly participated in a robbery and double shooting in late December that resulted in the death of 36-year-old Kamahl Middleton. A fourth suspect, a 17-year-old whose name has not been released because he is a minor, was also arrested in connection with the double shooting.

Although Young is the only suspect scheduled for a pretrial lineup, “Young is not undergoing separate proceedings (from) his codefendants,” said Rebecca Richardson, a spokesperson for the Alameda County District Attorney’s office, in an email.

Young, Phanor and Foote stand accused of murder, second-degree robbery and assault with a firearm, according to court documents. Phanor is alleged to have actually fired the shot that killed Middleton.

Rebekah Cleberg, 28, was also shot during the robbery on San Pablo Avenue but survived her injuries.

Young’s next court appearance is scheduled for May 11, and the preliminary examination for all three defendants is scheduled to take place May 26.

Contact Anna Sturla at [email protected].