2 men stabbed after leaving bar on Telegraph Avenue

Two males unaffiliated with the campus were stabbed Saturday by two male panhandlers on Telegraph Avenue, police said Monday.

The two men, 22 and 24 years old, were exiting a bar near the intersection of Telegraph Avenue and Channing Way and were approached by the two suspects, who appeared to be panhandling, according to a UCPD crime alert released Monday. Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats said an altercation then ensued.

The two suspects allegedly stabbed the two bar patrons with knives about 1:39 a.m. The two victims were transported to Highland Hospital in Oakland for treatment of injuries, the extent of which police have not released as of Monday afternoon.

UCPD officers said they detained two panhandlers who matched the descriptions of the suspects. According to the alert, the two males were positively identified as the assault suspects and taken into custody by Berkeley police.

Jacob Salisbury, 20, was arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and was booked into Berkeley Jail, where he is being held. Jeremiah Vincent, 29, whom police also detained in connection with the assault, was not in custody Monday, according to the county’s inmate-locator system.

Both men are scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday for assault with a deadly weapon at the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Oakland.

The suspects’ dogs were transported to Berkeley’s animal shelter, Coats said.

Amy Jiang is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @ajiang_dc.