Quantum of solace, episode 4: Berkeley Marina

Christina Fossum/Staff

While it may not appear at first glance to be the optimal site for our solace-seeking selves to kick back and escape our Berkeley lives, the Berkeley Marina actually has a lot more to offer than a polluted harbor and a smog-filtered view of the Golden Gate Bridge. Especially now, as the days are warming and our close proximity to the bay meanders to the forefront of our thoughts, it is high time to head for the water. Possibly the easiest way to quench our thirst for the salty brine of the sea is to hop on the 51B and fantasize about sand castles and sailboats all the way to its westernmost stop at the Berkeley Marina.

clog.marina.fossum

Staff photos/Christina Fossum

“Berkeley Marina,” which refers to the majority of the city lying to the west of I-580, includes not only the literal marina of the city of Berkeley but also quite a few other attractions. For those of us bougie enough to own a boat, there is a public boat ramp from which to launch yourself into the open abyss of the San Francisco Bay. And for those of us adventurous enough to fill our bodies with fish caught from the marina’s murky waters, there is also a public fishing pier. Bring your compost here for free weekend pick-up! Relax with a book and your pet cat in Cesar Chavez Park to soak up the salty breeze and the (sometimes) clear views of Mount Tam and the Golden Gate Bridge. At the conclusion of your tranquil afternoon spent strolling around the Berkeley Marina, pop over to Fourth Street for some high-end appetizers and/or to update your Apple products. Regardless of exactly how you choose to spend your day at the Berkeley Marina, we know you’ll find some refreshing solace just in time for finals!

clog.marina.fossum

Staff photos/Christina Fossum

Contact Christina Fossum at [email protected].