BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 31, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Telegraph Business Improvement District revisits code of conduct for Telegraph Avenue

SIERRA BROWN | STAFF

MAY 17, 2015

The Telegraph Business Improvement District, or TBID, revisited a code of conduct for Telegraph Avenue first proposed in 2004 with the goal of developing a “common community standard.”

The proposal, which was discussed at the organization’s meeting last week, would prohibit acts such as aggressive panhandling, amplified music that disturbs others, open alcoholic beverages and smoking on any sidewalk in the commercial district.

Doris Moskowitz, owner of Moe’s Books and representative from the TBID, said in an email that no specific incident led to the introduction of the proposed code of conduct. Moskowitz said she had envisioned a code of conduct for the Telegraph District for a long time.

Bounded by the Berkeley campus to the north and Parker Street to the south, the TBID was created in 1998 with the intention of promoting the economic vitality of the Telegraph District.

The TBID is a group of businesses and property owners that funds activities on Telegraph Avenue, such as cleaning, landscaping, marketing and maintenance.

“In general, the group’s mentality has been fearfully anti-homeless, so I’m dubious (about the proposal), but I keep an open mind,” said City Councilmember Kriss Worthington, whose district includes Telegraph Avenue.

The code of conduct was first proposed after the Project for Public Spaces held a workshop to look at ways to improve Telegraph Avenue in 2004. The TBID initially made the proposal because it wanted to make a more lasting imprint on the neighborhood, according to Moskowitz.

The code of conduct, which is still in its draft stage, proposes to welcome visitors at all times to use public spaces such as People’s Park, to walk leashed dogs through the district and to enjoy the plantings and vendors along Telegraph Avenue.

The code of conduct would also encourage visitors to dispose of waste and recyclable materials appropriately and would prohibit any obstruction to, loitering near or interference with the flow of pedestrian traffic.

City spokesperson Matthai Chakko said in an email that the city did not have any position on the proposal.

The TBID is currently gathering feedback on the draft for further discussion.

Contact Cassie Ippaso at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @cassippaso.

MAY 19, 2015