Popsicle recipes to cool down your summer

Lablascovegmenu/Creative Commons

Craving a healthy and cheap frozen treat? Finding yourself sitting at home with nothing to do but eat, sleep and check Bearfacts? Well, we at the Clog have a solution to spice up your currently riveting schedule: making popsicles.  Popsicle production is a great way of procrastinating on summer school work, working out, responding to a text message or even calling your grandmother. Here are five popsicle recipes that you can use for your beach trip tomorrow or small summer kickback next week.

(Note that you will need popsicle molds and sticks for all of these recipes. Click here, here or here for some fun popsicle molds.)

If you make any popsicles, we would love to see pictures of your creations. Comment below.

Orange Creamsicle

1. The Orange-you-glad It’s Summer?: Orange Creamsicle Yields about 10 popsicles

This classic frozen pop is perfect for anyone who likes oranges and frozen yogurt – and who doesn’t?

Ingredients:

–  2 cups of plain yogurt

– 1 can of frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed)

– 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Combine the yogurt, can of frozen orange juice, and vanilla extract into a small bowl.
  2. Fill each popsicle mold so that they are all about ¼ full.
  3. Stick popsicle sticks in them before they freeze completely.
  4. Freeze for three to four hours.

Chunky Monkey Popsicle2. The Chunky Monkey Supreme: Banana, Nutella and peanuts Yields about 10 to 20 popsicles

Enjoy this popsicle with your gluten-free and vegan friends, but be sure to warn your friends with nut allergies!

Ingredients:

– 6 large, overripe bananas

–  ½ cup Nutella

– ¾ cup crushed peanuts

Directions:

1. Blend the overripe bananas until completely pureed and add the nutella.
  2. Continue blending until the bananas and Nutella are completely mixed.
  3. Transfer the ingredients into another mixing bowl and stir in crushed peanuts.
  4. Freeze for three to four hours.

Berry Fruitpop

3. The Bikini: A healthier fruit pop for the beach-goer Yields about 10 to 15 popsicles

This popsicle will make you feel healthier, as you’re getting in some mini servings of antioxidants and vitamins. Their light flavor makes them a perfect treat to enjoy while soaking up some sun.

Ingredients:

– 15 blueberries

– 15 blackberries

– 15 strawberries

– 1 cup of white grape juice

– 1 bunch of grapes

Directions:

1. Clean and slice grapes into halves or quarters, depending on the size of your popsicle molds.
  2. In a food processor or blender, blend together blueberries, blackberries and strawberries and pour in the white grape juice.
  3. Blend until the mixture is firm but without chunks.
  4. Pour the grape halves into the mixture. To make sure the grapes don’t all sink to the bottom of the mold, place the grapes in the mold and pour the mixture over it but not all the way to the top.
  5. Freeze for an hour, or until somewhat firm, and then continue layering the grapes until the mold is full.
  6. Freeze for three to four hours.

coffee popsicles 2

4. The “I need coffee … NOW”: Coffee Creamsicle Yields about about 10 popsicles

Need a popsicle for a warm summer morning after too fun of a summer night? We have the perfect pick-me-up.

Ingredients:

– About 2 cups of your favorite coffee roast, chilled, plus milk and sugar added to taste

– 2 cups of heavy cream

Directions:

1. Pour the heavy cream into the bottom of the popsicle mold. We suggest about ¼ to ½ inches high.
  2. Freeze the mold until the cream is solid, which should take about an hour.
  3. Pour the chilled coffee into each mold, filling it to the top.
  4. Cover the top with foil and insert popsicle sticks.
  5. Freeze for three to four hours.

Cucumber popsicle

5. The Green Machine: Apples, cucumbers and pears, oh my! Yields about 10 popsicles.

This is a great post-Bikram Yoga snack. Throw in a little cayenne pepper if you can withstand the heat.

Ingredients:

– 2 green apples

– 2 pears

– 3 Persian cucumbers

– 2 lemons, juiced

– 2 lemons worth of lemon zest.

Directions:

1. Blend the green apples, pears and cucumbers together in a food processor.
  2. Add 1 ½ cup of lemon juice and 1 ½ cup of water. The mixture should not be liquidy. (Note: If you prefer a sweeter popsicle, substitute the 1 ½  cups of lemon juice and 1 ½  cups of water with 3 cups of lemonade.)
  3. Add the lemon zest to the mixture for a final touch.
  4. Freeze for three to four hours.

Important Question: “How do you un-mold the popsicles?”

Fill your sink with hot water and submerge the mold for 12 to 30 seconds. The popsicles should slide out easily afterwards.

Image Source: TheDeliciousLifeLablascovegmenu via Creative Commons, Courtesy of theviewfromgreatisland and tracy benjamin via Creative Commons

Contact Daniella Wenger at [email protected].