BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 28, 2022

Are we there yet? A road trip to Monterey

CARLI BAKER | SENIOR STAFF

IB 157 students walk along the coast to the Monterey cypress grove at Point Lobos State Reserve.

MAY 22, 2015

Finals are out, summer is in and all we want is to take a break from Berkeley. Rather than going to a big, bustling city and having to pay expensive rates for a plane ticket, we at the Clog recommend taking a road trip down to the beautiful Monterey County. Monterey will allow you to engage in a more soulful and relaxing vacation while saving cash.

From wherever you are, just get on Pacific Coast Highway and drive until you get to Monterey. It’s so easy that you can skip Google Maps. Yes, following Route 1 all the way may be a longer drive, but the scenic route is well worth it. Endless miles and miles of water will pass your vision as your car zooms down the PCH. The wind will blow in your hair and battle with you, trying to steal your hat and take it along its own path. Play your favorite throwbacks and sing along; you’ll feel like every beat matches the sound of the crashing waves.

We recommend taking a stop in Santa Cruz, where you can enjoy classical carnival games on the Boardwalk and pick up some sandwiches to go from the Picnic Basket to eat on the beach.  Then get back on the road!

Once you arrive, there are countless activities to do with your friends, family or significant other. You can kayak, horseback ride, scuba dive, bike or go down to Big Sur and have a bonfire on Pfeiffer beach, where, rumor has it, there’s purple sand. And if you don’t find the view quite therapeutic enough or nature is not quite your thing, check out Monterey Plaza’s Day Spa. And obviously, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is a must-see place. If you haven’t done enough shopping in Berkeley, Monterey hosts lots of festivals throughout the year filled with unique and vintage pieces. Check out the dates and plan your trip accordingly so you can shop around. Or make a trip to Monterey’s farmers’ markets, where you can buy local ingredients. But don’t go crazy buying all the local goodies; you still have future years of college tuition to pay for.

Overall, we give Monterey County a 10 out of 10. We recommend packing your bags and venturing out to make new memories. Be daring and build your bucket list as you conquer and take on life one beautiful sunset at a time.

Have any other road trip recommendations? Comment below.

Contact Hajar Larbah at 

MAY 21, 2015