BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Man arrested for refusing to leave Downtown Berkeley bank

|

Staff

JUNE 03, 2015

Two police officers were injured in a fight with a 44-year-old male at a Downtown Berkeley bank Wednesday morning.

According to Officer Jennifer Coats, spokesperson for the Berkeley Police Department, police received — from Wells Fargo Bank employees — reports about 10:30 a.m. of a man who refused to leave the bank, located at Shattuck Avenue and Center Street. The man, later identified as Elliot Chance, refused to leave even after police arrived on the scene, Coats said.

Chance was arrested for an outstanding warrant of which police learned during the course of the investigation, Coats said, and for resisting when police attempted to arrest him.

According to Coats, Chance and the officers fell to the ground during the struggle, and both officers were injured. One officer was transported to a local hospital with a serious but nonlife-threatening injury. The other officer did not require medical transport.

Chance was also transported to a local hospital for medical evaluation, though he did not appear to be injured, Coats said.

Amy Jiang is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @ajiang_dc.

JUNE 03, 2015