Summer internships: Bears go to work

giphy/File

It’s no secret that for UC Berkeley students summer doesn’t mean non-stop parties at the beach. Many of us Bears use summer as a time to gain valuable work experience through internships. In addition to building our resumes, internships also allow us to figure out if the fields we think we want to go into are truly our best fit. We at the Clog were curious to know what kind of work other students were doing, so we talked to students interning in various fields via Facebook Messenger and email.

ariea senior picture cropped

Marketing: Ariea Xu

Subs Hub, Tel Aviv, Israel

Israel – dubbed “startup nation” by Saul Singer, author of a book titled as such – is known for having a plethora of startups run privately by only one or two entrepreneurs. The goal of Subs Hub is to give these entrepreneurs a platform for them to work together and form a large entrepreneurship community.

Daily Clog: What is your role in the organization?

Ariea Xu: I’ll be in charge of a big portion of marketing and networking with other entrepreneurs. As part of a joint business platform, all these entrepreneurs combine their needs in order to run the start up and seek help, or help each other together. So I’ll be doing a lot of research, creating business plans, budgets and, overall, just a lot of consulting work for multiple companies at once.

DC: What do you hope to gain from working there?

AX: I hope to gain a lot from Subs Hub, because it is very new, so I’ll be able to be a part of the startup process from the very beginning, and aid in launching this company from the ground up. I also hope to make many business connections by managing and interacting with all the entrepreneurs. This will definitely help my business skills, and allow me to use and apply them to a greater variety of businesses, but business aside, I hope to learn a lot about Israeli culture and traditions as I explore Tel Aviv.

josh cropped

Electrical engineering/ Bioengineering: Joshua Chen

Associate Professor Michel Maharbiz’s lab, Berkeley, California

UC Berkeley Associate Professor Michel Maharbiz recently developed a “smart-bandage,” which detects and characterizes pressure ulcers with impedance measurements in his lab. The bandage runs a current through patient’s tissue in order to detect tissue damage due to pressure ulcers, bed-sores, before they can be detected by the naked eye.

DC: What is your role in the lab?

Joshua Chen: I am currently working as the on-site engineer for a clinical study in San Francisco. I’m taking impedance measurements on actual patients and analyzing the data taken. Currently, the readings require a large LCZ meter, which is a bulky machine, but this summer I will be working on integrating the circuit to a more portable system to allow the system to be more robust.

JC: As I’m mostly trained and have experience in cell and tissue engineering, I’m trying to shift my focus more towards biomedical devices and the electrical engineering side of bioengineering. This summer, I hope to teach myself and gain more experience in programming as well as hardware design. Also, I get to experience the patient interaction side of bioengineering, which is great because in the future I hope to work in translational medicine.

image

Computer Science: Ankit Patel 

HotPads, San Francisco, California

HotPads is a part of the real estate company, Zillow, that sells properties online throughout the U.S.

DC: What exactly is your role in the company?

Ankit Patel: I’m a software development engineering intern. This summer, I will be working on improving my company’s internal analytic tools to better understand how users interact with the site.  I’ll be working on implementing a system to analyze how users travel through the website.

DC: How do you like working there?

AP: I really like it here!  Because I’m working as at a smaller brand in a large company, I get all the perks and resources of a large tech firm with the flexibility and freedom of a small company.  That means awesome food and a frankly gorgeous office along with being able to move quickly without worrying about a large bureaucracy.  Besides that, my entire team is not only willing, but *wants* to help me learn.  They’re all extremely friendly and seem like pretty cool people.

hudson

Financial Analysis: Hudson Attar

Spanos Barber Jesse & Co LLC, San Francisco, California

Spanos Barber Jesse & Co LLC is a private equity firm that buys and manages businesses, such as Peet’s Coffee and Tea, J. Crew and Franzia.

Hudson Attar: I’m working as a Private Equity Analyst for the summer. Private equity firms purchase privately held companies using a combination of debt and equity in transactions called “leveraged buyouts,” or LBOs. These transactions can be highly complicated, and analyzing possible outcomes via financial modeling is one of the main jobs of analysts in this industry. I will also be spending a lot of time helping the managing directors of my firm understand potential acquisition targets by performing industry research, analyzing company financials, and investigating businesses. Like any other internship, there will also be a lot of “running things down” and performing miscellaneous analyses for my bosses, but I’m hopeful that most of my time will be spent working on deals.

DC: How do you like working there?

HA: It’s great! I’m thankful to be busy all of the time – internships where you don’t really have anything to do can make the summer a drag. I learn new things regularly and am becoming friends with my coworkers. I would definitely consider working in private equity for another summer (or even full time) based on my experience thus far.

hanna square

Journalism: Hanna Darroll

The Borgen Project, Los Angeles, California

The Borgen Project is a nonprofit organization working to end global poverty by influencing the public and Congress to fight for much-needed U.S. foreign aid programs.

DC: What is your role in the company?

Hanna Darroll: As a Journalist Intern for The Borgen Project, I am responsible for raising public awareness about the issues surrounding global poverty! I do this by writing daily articles for the BORGEN Magazine, maintaining close relations with my local Congressional leaders, and fundraising for the cause.

HD: When I applied to work for The Borgen Project, I wanted to gain valuable experience working for a nonprofit. The added bonus is that I am constantly researching and educating myself about what’s currently happening in our world. It helps me to get out of my own personal bubble and to appreciate the needs of others

Image source: giphy.com, Courtesy of Ariea Xu, Joshua Chen, Ankit Patel, Hudson Attar and Hanna Darroll 

Contact Zainab Ali at [email protected].

A previous version of this article misspelled Hanna Darroll’s name.